Text Document Crashed (odt), opens with ## Signs

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
AisleSeat

Text Document Crashed (odt), opens with ## Signs

Post by AisleSeat »

Hey guys, I have tried everything this afternoon but before pouring any more time into recovering this document, can someone see if there is anything that can be scavenged from it? I did not have recovery checked (lesson learned!) so I can't seem to find an older version in the temp folder.

I was trying to save it, my laptop crashed, restarted and I ended up with the ### signs of doom. :crazy:

If it's a goner, please tell me so I can just start to rewrite!
Attachments
1-16 Roland Joffe.odt
(42.42 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
OpenOffice 4.1.7, Windows 11
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Odt Text Document Crashed, Opens with ## Signs, Anything There to Recover?

Post by floris v »

I'm sorry, but it's completely destroyed - all zeroes. Your only hope is in back-up files. See https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 47#p493247 for more information on that problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
AisleSeat

Post by AisleSeat »

Thank you for the fast reply
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's full of nulls. See Why is my Writer file full of #####? for an explanation. Your PC crashed after the file was written to the write buffer but before the write buffer was flushed to disk.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any deleted temporary files are to be overwritten and therefore lost.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
AisleSeat

Re: Text Document Crashed (odt), opens with ## Signs

Post by AisleSeat »

thanks John I have moved onto LibreOffice and it looks like a better option for me.