[Solved] AOO 4.1.13 conflict with LibreOffice

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
LeroyTennison

[Solved] AOO 4.1.13 conflict with LibreOffice

Post by LeroyTennison »

Just installed Kubuntu 22.04 (thankfully on a Virtual Machine). It came with LibreOffice. I've always been able to install OpenOffice (which I prefer) alongside LibreOffice (up to Kubuntu 20.04). I've had to create icons and fiddle with file associations but that's fine. Now, when i use the official installation instructions at https://www.openoffice.org/download/com ... html#linux I get (for example):

regarding openoffice-writer_4.1.13-1_amd64.deb containing openoffice-writer:
libreoffice-common conflicts with openoffice.org-unbundled
openoffice-writer provides openoffice.org-unbundled and is to be installed.

dpkg: error processing archive openoffice-writer_4.1.13-1_amd64.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing openoffice-writer

The only thing i can find on the web is to run apt -f install (which I have done without removing the problem) or remove libreoffice.

I've listed what's in libreoffice-common and the only files i see which could possibly conflict are some icon files which don't include libreoffice in their name. I'm having trouble finding out what openoffice.org-unbundled contains, can someone point me to a reference?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by LeroyTennison on Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: AOO 4.1.13 conflict with LibreOffice

Post by erbsenzahl »

Hi and a Happy New Year.

For geeks there is a German instruction for a neat integration of two regularly installed LO and AOO versions within one DEB OS: https://de.openoffice.info/viewtopic.ph ... 19#p286719

What I do:
  • Install the PPA for fresh LibreOffice (will be updated in short term intervals and have it fully integrated.
  • Use of a parallel installed AOO. You can match AOO with some file types as primary connection for editing...
Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

LeroyTennison wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:02 am ...or remove libreoffice.
My workaround: Purge LO, install AOO, download and use the AppImage version of LO. The Snap or Flatpak versions would probably also work.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LeroyTennison

Post by LeroyTennison »

Thank you, I'll try that. I was wondering if maybe the Ubuntu variant was too restrictive. I'll have to read up on the alternatives first.
LeroyTennison

Post by LeroyTennison »

Purged LO and installed AOO then tried all three variants - all worked. Thanks so much for your help.