[Dropped] Request help to recover a few corrupted files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ApacheAsg

[Dropped] Request help to recover a few corrupted files

Post by ApacheAsg »

Hi. Anyone out there can recover a corrupted openoffice file? I've tried on my own with youtube videos but to no avail! Please help.

First error was: "Format error discovered in the file in sub-document context.xml at 2,383698(row,col)"
Next error was: 0 Headers Error: context.xml

Will send you file if need be and payment. I had good notes and eager to get them back! Thank you in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No response from ApacheAsg to their "Thank you I will" post -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Request Professional to recover a few corrupted openoffice

Post by John_Ha »

The format error is usually easy to fix - see [Tutorial] Format error discovered in sub-document or upload the file so someone can look at it. I expect fixing the format error will fix the other too. At worst you should be able to recover your text.

I have sent you my ID if you want to send me the file. There is no fee.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ApacheAsg

Re: Request Professional to recover a few corrupted files

Post by ApacheAsg »

John,

file was too big to download here, but I did email it to you per your request. thank you for your quick reply. Really needs this recovered, thank you again!
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows
ApacheAsg

Post by ApacheAsg »

Also, I did used the tutorial you provided. I will try again because the first time i did it it just gave me more errors. Thanks again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

With any damaged file one should not overwrite it - always work repairing and saving a copy of the file with a different name; in the event that the repair doesn't work, one then has the original damaged file, but with minimal damage, to allow another attempt(s).

I have no doubt John_Ha will deal with your file as soon as he has some free time.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ApacheAsg

Post by ApacheAsg »

Thanks guys, AWESOME!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

ApacheAsg sent me Spreadshet_Financea_20220927.ods but I think it must be the wrong file because it is full of binary gibberish and is not a well formed .ods file. It does not open in AOO and certainly does not give the error message he reported.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ApacheAsg

Post by ApacheAsg »

Yup that is all I got. I guess I'm SOL, ugh!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The file you sent me could never generate the "Format error discovered in the file in sub-document context.xml at 2,383698(row,col)" error message because there is no content.xml file in it. It must have been a different file which gave you that error .message.

I suggest you search your PC with *.od* to find all AOO files on it.

ApacheAsg

Post by ApacheAsg »

Thank you I will
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Another option is [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files which has detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.