Desktop icon deleted now only reinstalls

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rdoty

Desktop icon deleted now only reinstalls

Post by rdoty »

I had an Apache OpenOffice icon on my desktop and when I double-clicked on it to open the application the icon disappeared. I tried to re-install an icon but all I get is the icon with the installation files so it keeps wanting to re-install the app. The original installation also placed a copy of the installation folder on the desktop and of course it does the same thing. I've tried to find the "start icon" but can't seem to find it. Also, why would the icon disappear when I double-click on it? (Old habit!)
Open Office 4.1.13 on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Desktop icon deleted now only reinstalls

Post by LastUnicorn »

There have been a couple of posts to this forum for people reporting the same kind of problem on Windows 10 systems. Often times the solution is just to switch to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons to do so anyway, some of which are covered here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

If you wait though someone might come along and help in a more direct way.
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
rdoty

Post by rdoty »

Thanks for the advice. After reading the article I'm inclined to agree with you. I actually have LibreOffice on my desktop but wanted an open-source office app on my laptop. Sooooo, with that said.....
Open Office 4.1.13 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I answered this for Windows 11 yesterday. If that doesn't work for Windows 10, see:

Re: Shortcuts
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Maybe I'm reading your comment wrong, but LibreOffice is open source. Baffled. :-?
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10