Looking for html to doc or odt converter

Talk about anything at all....
fredfred1234567890
Banned

Looking for html to doc or odt converter

Post by fredfred1234567890 »

I have some nice html files with Math equations in them but I want them in Word. Does anyone know of any good html to doc converters or to odt?

I have tried a few online but I don't want to install an app on my machine due to the probability of it not working. The converters all seem to stink so far. I'll keep trying out converters but I have to literally keep detailed notes on each one.

Aspose can go from .tex to html pretty well. Good enough for my purposes. But it cannot go from html to doc.
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 Linux 4.14
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Looking for html to doc or odt converter

Post by Zizi64 »

You have a locked topic with very similar problem/question:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 6&start=30

You can paste/import/open the HTML content into an ODF document, but I suppose it: the Math equations are images in the HTML format. Therefore they will be images in the ODF file format too, but not editable equations.

Can you upload/link one of that HTML files here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did you read the numerous suggestions and wiki I posted in your other thread?

You unlikely to find perfection in any conversion other than conversion to a graphic and that can be done by a screen grab.

As it is a LaTeX problem ask on the LaTeX forum.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
fredfred1234567890
Banned

Post by fredfred1234567890 »

Zizi64 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:31 am You have a locked topic with very similar problem/question:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 6&start=30

You can paste/import/open the HTML content into an ODF document, but I suppose it: the Math equations are images in the HTML format. Therefore they will be images in the ODF file format too, but not editable equations.

Can you upload/link one of that HTML files here?
I am going to write the converter myself. I can't keep experimenting with online and other converters - they are dangerous to use. They are affecting my hard-drive sometimes. A 20kb file just downloaded as a 20 mb file!

It is not at all a difficult technology to read and write a font into a document. I used to be in a group at Dow Jones where we had to do almost exactly the same thing except with stock market data on pages. I can handle the job.
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 Linux 4.14
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

fredfred1234567890 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:29 pm They are affecting my hard-drive sometimes. A 20kb file just downloaded as a 20 mb file!
I'd certainly suggest deleting that file, also running a virus and malware check; don't rely on linux not being the target of choice for bad actors.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If I am correct in my assumption, there are a number of ways to get to your final requirement, some of which do not involve html or converters. But until I know what your final requirement is, I cannot offer suggestions.

1. Please upload a small LaTeX .tex file showing what you want to copy into a Writer file.

2. Please upload a PDF produced by the above LaTeX .tex file.

3. Please upload .odt file with a page of text showing where you want the equations.

Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

4. What is the final format you require? Is it a PDF?
John_Ha wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:39 pm It is a LaTeX problem so ask on the LaTeX forum.
5. Your problem is a "LaTeX to wordprocessor" problem where the wordprocessor could be LO, MS Word, Abiword, Google Docs, Zoho Writer etc so it is a LaTeX problem. When I searched the LaTeX forum with libreoffice I got 411 hits. What happened when you searched it?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.