Documents are scrambled

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
HanDerrre

Documents are scrambled

Post by HanDerrre »

Hello!
Please forgive me if I have posted a new thread in the wrong forum but I have absolutely no clue when it comes to Open Office. My problem is that sometimes when I open a document I am asked to choose somethingsomething in ASCII and no matter what I choose the document comes out being just grey, filled with Y's or "diamonds".
3.png
3.png (26.35 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
4.png
4.png (16.9 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
I hope the images will help you. What am I doing wrong and how do I correct this? I ask forgiveness if I have posted thisd topic in the wrong forum.
Best regards
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Windows 10/64
RoryOF

Re: Documents are scrambled

Post by RoryOF »

Usually the #### or other repeated character and the ASCII selection prompt tell that OpenOffice cannot understand the file. This can arise because of file corruption, often caused by overhasty closing of a laptop lid, or powering off of a desktop computer, or by program or computer crash, all of which do not permit the file to be written correctly to disk.

The damage is possibly due to over-hasty power-off of computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping has been written to disk, or to computer or program crash, or perhaps to Windows forcing an update while you had an OpenOffice file open.

Do not let your computer sleep/hibernate with a document open. When you have formally closed down the computer, wait five or ten seconds before pulling the power lead or closing the laptop lid, to allow the internal buffers of the hard drive flush to disk

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

There will be nothing usable in your damaged file - waste no time with it. Try the recovery methods above.

To confirm the damage to your files, please upload a small file for examination. The Upload tab is below the Submit button on Full Editor and Post Reply screens, not on Quick Reply screen. Experience indicates that there is very little (read: almost no) hope of any recovery.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In addition, do you work directly from a USB key? That is a very bad idea, especially with OpenOffice. Always work from your hard drive and copy the file back to the key once done.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Hagar

While that is excellent advice for earlier versions of Windows, the default in Windows 10 is for USB caching to be disabled so you no longer need to wait for "Safely eject" as long as you haven't changed it.

Also, it is possible to disable caching disk writes at the disk level in W10. I am not sure it is useful as the performance penalty on other programs will undoubtedly exceed the possibility of preventing "#####" files with AOO ( and other applications).
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Given that there are unexplained USB stick failures (I've just had a 16GB Kingston fail when starting a transfer job, fortunately no data loss), I agree with Hagar that it is not wise to work direct to a USB stick.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'm not sure it's linked to the caching or not. I'm more of the opinion that it's like the saving process issue with AOO: if something goes wrong during the transfer of data (being cached or not), then there is nothing left because the original file was not preserved.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Notepad++ seems particularly prone to the "My file is full of #####" problem, so much so that their forum has a FAQ about it. See
FAQ Desk: Crash caused my [Notepad++] file to be all NULLs
which points to
The [Notepad++] NUL file-corruption bug appears to not be completely gone (v7.7.1 reported).

As I doubt AOO and Notepad++ share any code it does suggest it is caused by something in Windows. They suggest two possible causes

a) a Windows or PC crash or power off

b) A Windows update while files are open

A suggested improvement is not to overwrite the existing file during a write but to create a new file, delete the old one, and tell Windows of the change.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.