Field name limited to 10 characters only

Creating tables and queries
divyan@2001

Field name limited to 10 characters only

Post by divyan@2001 »

Hi,

I am not able to specify full field names (field names only include 10 characters ). For example while making table in base I want to type 'contact number' under field name column but only 'contact nu' is coming in field name. It is not including full 'contact number'.

Also I am not able to assign primary key even though I am following correct steps.

Kindly help.

Thank You

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
OpenOffice4.1.7 on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Re: Not able to specify full field names. Field name only includes 10 character. Also not able to get primary key option

Post by keme »

Did you create the database from scratch, or is your database perchance based on dBase files? IIRC, dBase had that limit on field name length.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Not able to specify full field names. Field name only includes 10 character. Also not able to get primary key option

Post by Villeroy »

keme wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:41 pm Did you create the database from scratch, or is your database perchance based on dBase files? IIRC, dBase had that limit on field name length.
When you create a database from scratch without Java, dBase is what you get.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Field name limited to 10 characters only

Post by UnklDonald418 »

To give you help with your problem we need to know what type of connection you have.
Look at the bottom line of the main Base window, what does it tell you?
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11