[Solved] Missing Edit option with right-click

Creating and using forms
mechdoc02

[Solved] Missing Edit option with right-click

Post by mechdoc02 »

An address book I made several years ago, and used several times to print mailing labels, now will not allow me to edit the Form. I re-installed Open Office, 4.1.13, re-installed JRE, still no Edit when I right-click on MyAddressBookForm. I assume it's probably something very simple, as I do not use any database capability more than once a year. Win10 Home 22H2, Apache Open Office 4.1.13, JRE 1.8.0_351 installed.

Same address book moved to a Win11 PC with a recently installed Open Office and the identical JRE gives me the Edit option, and seems to work fine. What little thing did I mess up?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Apache Open Office 4.1.13
Windows 10 Home version 22H2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Missing Edit option with right-click

Post by Villeroy »

Can you open the form for data entry by double-click? Can you open queries and tables? Then everything is OK with your JRE.
Alternative approach to open a form for editing: Select the form icon, menu:Edit>Edit...
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
mechdoc02

Post by mechdoc02 »

Thought I already replied. Sorry of this is a repeat!

Double-clicking opens, just as right-click Open, neither allowing any editing. Menu:Edit> Edit is grayed out. Consistent, it seems, but not helpful.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

On the Windows 10 machine, right click on the .odb file for your database and select Properties
At the very bottom of the Properties dialog make sure the Read Only attribute is NOT checked.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
mechdoc02

Post by mechdoc02 »

That's the sort of simple mistake I think I have made, but that turns out not to be the problem here. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Same address book moved to a Win11 PC with a recently installed Open Office and the identical JRE gives me the Edit option, and seems to work fine.
Try copying the .odb file to another directory or copy the working version back onto the Win 10 machine,

If that doesn't help, I recommend that you create a new Base database and copy the Table(s), Form(s) and Queries if there are any to the new database.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
mechdoc02

Post by mechdoc02 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to avoid starting over, of course, but I'll try that if just copying the working version doesn't work.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

mechdoc02 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:12 pm Thought I already replied. Sorry of this is a repeat!

Double-clicking opens, just as right-click Open, neither allowing any editing. Menu:Edit> Edit is grayed out. Consistent, it seems, but not helpful.
The Base file is read-only.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
mechdoc02

Post by mechdoc02 »

The Base file being read-only seems a likely explanation. So what do I need to do? I use this capability once a year, and do not remember much about using it, except that I managed okay for the first several years I did it.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The file owner may have changed. Your user account may have changed. Some file attribute may have changed. Nasty "Windows Security" may disallow something. I don't know much about Windows.
mechdoc02

Post by mechdoc02 »

I'll check into some 'helpful' Windows security thing. Tnanks.
mechdoc02

Post by mechdoc02 »

Turns out that the file owner had changed. I do not know how that came about, but somehow I would up with 4 user IDs and the one I am now in by default is not the one in which I set up the folder in which my database resides. Setting the folder properties to allow all 4 IDs to do anything to the files solved the problem.

Thanks for the assistance! (And I'd mark this problem as solved, but right now do not see how to do it. Perhaps it will become obvious when I post this?