[Solved] Cannot connect to server during PDF export

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Smith

[Solved] Cannot connect to server during PDF export

Post by Smith »

Edit: Split from "Save As" and PDF export not working because that topic is a Windows discussion. However you run MacOS so your situation is quite different. It happens in this case that using OpenOffice dialogs also solves your problem with MacOS trying to contact a server.
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  

I had a related problem on a Mac, and this solved the problem. Thank you John_Ha!!! :bravo: :D :super:
One Shot wrote:
John_Ha wrote: A thought: Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.
In Mac OS X Yosemite, this menu is located in OpenOffice dialogue > Preferences > General > Open/save dialogs and Print dialogs > tick both of the check boxes.

In case anyone else is having the same problem that I had: Whenever I would try to export a file to PDF (any file, whether a blank document or a PPP for example), I would get a pop-up window "Cannot connect to server" at the second step of the dialog, and it would get stuck in an infinite loop with no possibility to get out of it. When the open/save print dialog boxes were NOT checked, it seems that OO was trying to connect to one of the remote servers from my work that I have on my desktop (as shortcuts) as part of the "save to..." locations dialog. If I was already connected to my remote server, it worked fine. But if I wasn't connected to it, then this dialog would pop up and cause OO to get stuck in this loop. Clicking "ok" on the "cannot connect to server" dialog just caused it to appear again, so I would have to force quit. (I couldn't find any option in OO prefs to stop OO from trying to connect to servers while saving a PDF. Maybe it's just built-in.)

By the way, I found this thread easily on the search function. Thanks to the Community! I hope this info will help others!
Apache Open Office 4.1.6 on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
SallijaneG

Re: "Save As" and PDF export not working

Post by SallijaneG »

I had a similar Mac problem*, it took a couple of searches to find this (my first time on the fora), and I went to OO preferences and made the change under “General”. Yes, it works—but what opens looks way too much like Windows for this multi-decade Mac user to be truly comfortable—and I had to remove the opening part of the file name, as it was no longer on the Desktop, which was one of the few places that the Mac SaveAs window would let me save a new document. I can live with the work-around, but would hope that a new version would restore the previous Mac functionality.

*Though I did not get a message about being unable to connect to a server, I was given very few choices of where a new file could be saved IIRC, Documents, Desktop, a few recent folders only—and when I chose any of those, a window of the contents did not open so that I could select subfolders, as had always been the case until recently.
OpenOffice 4.1.6, Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
lancerkind

Re: "Save As" and PDF export not working

Post by lancerkind »

The solution that mentions using the "OpenOffice dialogs" solved my problem on MacOS Catalina. Thanks Smith! :D
Smith wrote:I had a related problem on a Mac, and this solved the problem. Thank you John_Ha!!! :bravo: :D :super:
One Shot wrote:
John_Ha wrote: A thought: Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.
In Mac OS X Yosemite, this menu is located in OpenOffice dialogue > Preferences > General > Open/save dialogs and Print dialogs > tick both of the check boxes.

In case anyone else is having the same problem that I had: Whenever I would try to export a file to PDF (any file, whether a blank document or a PPP for example), I would get a pop-up window "Cannot connect to server" at the second step of the dialog, and it would get stuck in an infinite loop with no possibility to get out of it. When the open/save print dialog boxes were NOT checked, it seems that OO was trying to connect to one of the remote servers from my work that I have on my desktop (as shortcuts) as part of the "save to..." locations dialog. If I was already connected to my remote server, it worked fine. But if I wasn't connected to it, then this dialog would pop up and cause OO to get stuck in this loop. Clicking "ok" on the "cannot connect to server" dialog just caused it to appear again, so I would have to force quit. (I couldn't find any option in OO prefs to stop OO from trying to connect to servers while saving a PDF. Maybe it's just built-in.)

By the way, I found this thread easily on the search function. Thanks to the Community! I hope this info will help others!
==>Lancer---
Open Office 4.1.5 on MacOS