[Solved] Edit PDFs with OpenOffice PDF Import extension

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
mtnylmz

[Solved] Edit PDFs with OpenOffice PDF Import extension

Post by mtnylmz »

I have downloaded the extenstion but something is wrong. Would you please help me open and edit PDF files on OpenOffice?

Edit: Changed subject, was Help for PDFs? 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; Provided tutorial for editing PDFs -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OppenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Help for PDFs?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please be more specific. What is th issue exactly?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have downloaded the extenstion but something is wrong. Would you please help me open and edit PDF files on OpenOffice?
Do you mean the PDF Import extension?
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... openoffice

The "Import Pdf" feature for the the OpenOffice - what you have downloaded as an extension -, is a default, built-in feature of the LibreOffice.
But that is not a full featured PDF editor feature. You can import the small, relative simple PDF files in the Draw application (but not in the Writer!), and you can make some cosmetics only on the PDF files.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How do I view or edit a PDF file with OpenOffice?

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mtnylmz

Post by mtnylmz »

Hagar Delest wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:53 pm Please be more specific. What is th issue exactly?
You are right. Sorry for being vague.

Yes, I have the extension but I don't know how to check it. Which extension is it. There is PDF symbol between "edit file" and "print file" options and when I put the cursor on it, it writes "Export Directly as PDF". There is something as "styles and formatting" and next to it, in a box, there is "Preformatted text".

When I try to open file, the app (I think it is drawing) prompt me to choose something such as "UTF 8".

There is this when I try to open a pdf file.

%PDF-1.4
%äüöß
2 0 obj
<</Length 3 0 R/Filter/FlateDecode>>
stream
xœ3Ð3T(ç*T0P0#²L-MõŒ#,L
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Here is the process for installing and using the extension:
Download the extension from here. Be sure to get the version for your operating system.
In OpenOffice, select the menu item Tools -> Extension Manager
Click Add
Navigate to your downloads folder and select the .oxt file you just downloaded
Accept the license
Close OpenOffice and then restart it.
Use the menu File -> Open to load a PDF file. It will open in the Draw application.

As has been mentioned, this extension is intended for simple edits in small documents.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Editing PDFs with the OpenOffice PDF Import extension

Post by Zizi64 »

...Or you can try the LibreOffice. It has the PDF Import feature in the installer pack by default.

%PDF-1.4
Maybe the old extension created for the OpenOffice is not compatible with all of PDF versions.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mtnylmz

Post by mtnylmz »

This will be out of context, I hope moderators does not warn me, but the link shared here explain many things about pdfs including the apps.

If I use some apps freely, they put an image in the corners or background. Can we remove them in either OpenOffice or Libre Office? What the names of those images? I am not familiar with the terminology.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If I use some apps freely, they put an image in the corners or background. Can we remove them in either OpenOffice or Libre Office? What the names of those images? I am not familiar with the terminology.
What image and what apps did you meant? (The name of it "watermark" - i suppose it. That means (generally): The app is not a really freeware software, you must buy it if you want eliminate those watermarks... Maybe it is possible to remove them, but it is not legal.)

Can you upload an example PDF inside that image here ?
mtnylmz

Post by mtnylmz »

Zizi64 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:48 pm
What image and what apps did you meant? (The name of it "watermark" - i suppose it. That means (generally): The app is not a really freeware software, you must buy it if you want eliminate those watermarks... Maybe it is possible to remove them, but it is not legal.)

Can you upload an example PDF inside that image here ?
Any commercial pdf app such as icecream pdf editor. The name may be stamp. But removing their stamp with another legal program is illegal? why?

The only feature I need is adding a free page. If I can do it with openoffice, or libreoffice, allmost all the problem will be solved for me about pdfs.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

mtnylmz wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:38 pm But removing their stamp with another legal program is illegal? why?
Consult a local attorney if you need legal advice for your jurisdiction. This forum cannot provide that.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

But removing their stamp with another legal program is illegal? why?
Use really free softwares, or buy the commercial softwares. The "trial" versions are for trying the commercial softwares, but not for daily works.