Desktop-integration problem?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
HowardJ

Desktop-integration problem?

Post by HowardJ »

I've been using OpenOffice since it was StarOffice 5.2 in 2000. No serious problem, but for the last few updates I've just re-installed it on top of the older version. This all works except for the desktop-integration when I get messages like:-
file /usr/share/application-registry/openoffice4.applications from install of openoffice4.1.13-mandriva-menus-4.1.13-9810.noarch conflicts with file from package openoffice4.1.9-mandriva-menus-4.1.9-9805.noarch
Since everything still works as it should apart from the icons saying it's 4.1.9. Each omponent is the new 4.1.13 - but am I missing something?

I even deleted openoffice4.applications from that directory, but I still got the message.
AOO 4.1.14
on various machines running PCLinuxOS (KDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Desktop-integration problem?

Post by Villeroy »

Your Linux distribution comes with LibreOffice which is by and large the successor to OpenOffice.org whereas Apache OpenOffice is a zombie. Since 11 years LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/

After you extracted the downloaded OpenOffice archive, notice that the desktop integration package is in a separate subdirectory.
cd ~/Downloads/extracted_AOO_folder/DEBS/
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
 Edit: OOops, Mandriva is an rpm distro.  
Last edited by Villeroy on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
HowardJ

Post by HowardJ »

I was not asking for advice on which office suite to use, I'm happy with AOO after 22 years thank you. I only use LibreOffice when I have to - it's too windowized. PCLinux OS does not use sudo.

PCLinuxOS uses RPMs not deb. I was in the right sub-directory after 22 years of practice! It's a distant fork from Mandriva so I use that desktop integration. I have had this problem ever since 4.1.9 and it doesn't seem to make any difference, but I wondered if there was perhaps something missing from the menu options.

Thanks for trying to be helpful.
AOO 4.1.14
on various machines running PCLinuxOS (KDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Are there any package from LibreOffice remaining? I remember some issues when the default packages from the distro for LO were not removed and caused such issue.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I was not asking for advice on which office suite to use, I'm happy with AOO after 22 years thank you.
Since the development of AOO is stagnant, its compatibility with newer versions of operating systems is constantly decreasing.

The best choice is to use the LibreOffice today.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

All the remarks above concerning relations between AOO and LO are valid. But even so, you can try to fix the problem manually. Physical removing of the files is not a solution, since the package manager does not know the fact and reports conflict.
* first uninstall old activators module

Code: Select all

rpm --erase openoffice4.1.9-mandriva-menus
* then install the new one

Code: Select all

rpm --install openoffice4.1.13-mandriva-menus-4.1.9-9805.noarch.rpm
(here the parameter should point to the path of the „new” rpm file)
Of course you can use higher level managers (there are yum and dnf in RedHat, I do not know Mandriva equivalent).
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Jan_J wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:19 am Physical removing of the files is not a solution, since the package manager does not know the fact and reports conflict.
Which packet is in conflict?
You must remove all trace of LibO before install.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

No, you don't have to remove LibreOffice. Just tell your package manager to take over /usr/bin/soffice which is just a symlink and the only file claimed by both office suites.

On a Debian system the operation would look similar to:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite openoffice-desktop-integration.deb

I install OpenOffice as secondary office suite. I simply omit the desktop-integration package and call /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice directly or though some link.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice