Word document from Jumpshare crashes OpenOffice

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Canna W

Word document from Jumpshare crashes OpenOffice

Post by Canna W »

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm a dinosaur when it comes to computers...but I would be most grateful for some help. I am trying to download a 400KB document from jumpshare. It's over 100 pages long. My computer uses Windows 10.

When I click the download tab in jumpshare, everything looks fine, and it comes onto my desktop okay. (When I check the download progress tab online, it seems to download almost instantly.) When I hover my cursor over the file on my desktop, a messages comes up saying that it is a Microsoft Word document...but when I try and open it, Open Office crashes. (I thought I saw somewhere that the file ends with docx.)

When I try and delete the document on my computer it says "This action can't be completed because the file is open in Open Office 4"...although I can't see how this can be the case. Anyway, I have to reboot my computer before I can delete the document and try downloading it again.

Sorry to sound so muddled - this is because I am muddled :O(

Edit: Changed subject, was Trying to download doc from jumpshare 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Trying to download doc from jumpshare

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

When AOO opens a file, it creates a lock file that can be seen if you make Windows display the hidden files and folders. It looks like .~lock.filename.odt# for example. odt being the file extension, it may be something else.
You have to delete it. Except if you cancel the recovery process if prompted to.

You can try LibreOffice, it has a better compatibility with external file formats. Try a portable version first to make sure it helps.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Canna W

Re: Trying to download doc from jumpshare

Post by Canna W »

Hi Hagar, and many thanks for responding to my post.

It sounds as though Open Office may be having difficulties handling this file. I don't think I will download LibreOffice just to handle the it. I would rather do without it.

As it is, I can access it online. The only reason I wanted it in OO is that it then makes it possible to use the search facility - but it sounds like it is probably just too much trouble.

Thank you again for your help!
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7