[Dropped] Line numbering not working

Discuss the word processor
PaulNdr

[Dropped] Line numbering not working

Post by PaulNdr »

This is a 612 page .odt file converted from a word .doc file. Each page has 70 lines. Tools/line numbering settings: Show numbering: ticked, Character style: line numbering, Format: 1,2,3..., Position: left, Spacing: 0.50 cm, Interval: 1 lines, Separator: Every 1 line, Count: restart every new page: ticked. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on WINDOWS 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Line numbering not working

Post by Zizi64 »

Separator: Every 1 line,
I do not know what is the separator, and how it works...

But the function works for me in my LO 6.1.6 version.

Maybe your text are located in some Frames, and you did not checked the "Lines in text frames" option:
Line numbering.png
Line numbering.png (17.71 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Line numbering.odt
(28.92 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Please upload you sample file here. Delete the content from a COPY of your document except the first one-two pages, because the file size limit is 128 KiB on this Forum.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

Köszönöm, de nincs változás.

Edit: Translation for non-Hungarian speakers in this English forum: Thank you but no change - [robleyd Mod] 
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...And it works fine for me in my AOO 4.1.13 Portable version... Even the Seaparator characters are appeared - some times. I do not know yet how the seapator character option works...

Please download my sample file above and try it in your Office suite.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Köszönöm, de nincs változás.
Edit: Translation for non-Hungarian speakers in this English forum: Thank you but no change - [robleyd Mod]
The Hungarian sentence is perfect, but it is not clear: what has not/will be changed. The user will not change from AOO to LO office suite?? Or the attached image and the option-tip can not help for the OP.?
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

PaulNdr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:40 amThis is a 612 page .odt file converted from a word .doc file. Each page has 70 lines.
Can you tell us, how many page styles does your document have? What are their names?
Please upload a sample file... - Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

I'm not sure, I didn't make any page styles for sure. The file is too big to upload. Further settings: Styles & Formatting: plain text. Font type: Courier New. Font Size: 7.5.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

how many page styles does your document have?
To find out, press F11 (or menu Format | Styles and Formatting): click the fourth icon from left at the top of the dialog box to list the page styles: use the drop-down list at the bottom of the dialog to select Applied Styles.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

Screenshot attached
Attachments
styles.jpg
styles.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the bottom line, where it says "All", use the arrow on right side to select "Applied", which will tell the styles actually in use. It will be sufficient to list those - no need for a screenshot.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
cwolan

Post by cwolan »

One can also control line numbering with paragraph (paragraph style) settings
(the Outline & Numbering tab, the Line Numbering area).
OpenOffice 1.1.5 – 4.1.15
LibreOffice 3.3.0.4 – 7.6.6
Windows 7,10,11 64-bit
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

A sample document is really needed.
  • Make a copy of your file. Make sure it is an actual copy, not just a link to your original file.
  • Delete everything in that copy except a couple of pages which you want to have numbering on.
  • When you save that file, it should be small enough to upload in this place. Attach it to your original question (which you can edit) or a comment below.

Describe the problem. "Not working" is rather unspecific.
  • Do you not get numbers at all?
  • Are the numbers wrong?
  • Do you get too many numbers?
  • Are they not positioned correctly?
  • Is the separator missing?
  • Something else?
Simply put: What output do you get, and what do you expect?
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

Problem: no line numbers at all. If you still need a truncated copy of the file, let me know.
Attachments
styles.jpg
styles.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Please provide a sample that shows the problem.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

robleyd: you mean a screenshot of a page, or a short version of the actual file?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Always a short version of the actual file. Text can be munged if sensitive (by replacing chars wit x or similar), or replaced with dummy text.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Is the "Include this paragraph in line numbering" option checked in the paragraph styles used in the document? If it is, select all text, then select Format > Paragraph and check the "Include this paragraph in line numbering" option.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

Bill: no change. I think the text has no paragraphs, or the whole text is one paragraph.
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

RoryOF: I attached the first 5 pages of the document. Please note the 2-digit numbers at the beginning of each line are not line numbers, they are part of the text. Thanks.
Attachments
LPCD_LST(part).odt
(35.09 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your text is filling entire page and leaving no room for line numbers. Choose /Format /Page, Page tab, and select a non zero value for left margin (I suggest 2cm for margins all around, or about 0.75 inch if you are in inch territory); then /Tools /Line numbering.
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

RoryOF: Still no joy, I see the margin but no line numbers. I increased the paper width to 50 cm, no change.
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

RoryOF: There is a 1 at the beginning of the first line of the first page. Only if I check "include this paragraph in line numebering" If unchecked it goes away.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

With RoryOF settings of the margins to 2.00 cm.

Tools > LineNumbering ON
Attachments
LPCD_LST(part)_withLineNumbers.odt
(32 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

Thanks everybody's effort, seems this problem is unsolvable. Settings applied to a 5-page truncated version of the document are working, however same settings don't work for the whole document (612 pages).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

PaulNdr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:14 am Thanks everybody's effort, seems this problem is unsolvable. Settings applied to a 5-page truncated version of the document are working, however same settings don't work for the whole document (612 pages).
The setting "Include this paragraph in line numbering" is not checked in the Default paragraph style in the sample document. It should be checked. The same setting in the Plain Text paragraph style is inherited from the Default paragraph style.
PaulNdr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:00 pm RoryOF: Still no joy, I see the margin but no line numbers. I increased the paper width to 50 cm, no change.
Did you increase the setting for the left margin in the Default page style to 2cm? Increasing the paper width to 50 cm won't change the margin. If other page styles are applied in the full document, the margin setting must also be increased in those page styles.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

As a test, I created a 1000+ page document using the same settings and the line numbers still appear on every page.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Thanks everybody's effort, seems this problem is unsolvable. Settings applied to a 5-page truncated version of the document are working, however same settings don't work for the whole document (612 pages).
Please share your document on a free file sharing service (Google drive or other), and put the link into a post here. The we will able examine what is a problem with the rest part of your document.

This function can work our test documents, and on your uploaded sample document. It must work on your whole document too.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

About terminology: In your document, visually there appears to be no paragraphs. However, technically each line, terminated by pressing the Enter or Return key, is one paragraph.

It looks like the Plain text paragraph style is what you are using for all your content. The style you use should reflect the "typical formatting" for your content, so in this case it should also have the "include in line numbering" and font size settings. They seem to instead have been applied manually, and manual formatting is very difficult to keep consistent over a large document.

If you have numbering in a part of your full document, try this (again, keep an untouched copy of your document, make sure it is an actual copy and not a link to the original):
  • Put the cursor in a line where numbering is applied correctly.
  • On the toolbar in the Styles and formatting pane, select the leftmost tool icon - Paragraph styles
    You should now observe that the Plain text style is selected in the list. If active style selection is different, alter the final step below accordingly.
  • Now click the dropdown arrowhead on the rightmost tool icon and select Update style
The above steps will have updated the Plain text paragraph style to reflect the actual formatting settings on that line. Most likely you will see no changes to your content layout at this point.

Now you need to apply that style consistently to your document:
  • Press ctrl+A to select all content.
  • Press ctrl+M to strip away all manual formatting
    Note, this will also remove underline/italic/bolding which you may have added for emphasis within your list. I can't see any in the sample, so I guess you didn't. ;)
    Note also that if some lines use a different paragraph style, that can cause serious layout change. DON'T PANIC!. The step below will rectify the wrongs.
  • With all content still selected, double click the Plain text entry in the paragraph styles list to ensure that the style is consistently applied.
This should give you a well behaved document.
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

This document was imported from a formatted Word .doc file. Maybe some of the formatting didn't translate well to the .odt format. Removing all formatting to convert the document to plain text is not an option, I want to keep the existing formatting. What I would like is not so much to show the line numbers at the beginning of each line, rather to show the cursor position (line number, column number) at the bottom information bar next to the page count. (Like in Word). See attachment. If it can't be done so be it.
Attachments
Word-info.jpg
Word-info.jpg (72.91 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

We can not to do anything with an image. Share the document itself.