Software for recovery of corrupted Calc file

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
haake

Software for recovery of corrupted Calc file

Post by haake »

I have a corrupted Calc file (and no backup of it...yes, i know) and have tried several ways to access it but have been unsuccessful (saving as zip, looking in Temp folder, etc.) that have not worked. Has anyone found trusted recovery software? I (hesitantly) bought this one https://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/calc-recovery.php after a preview seemed to be promising, but the "recovered" file cannot be opened, and only a portion of the sheets were recovered (each tab is saved as an individual sheet in addition to the main document). after contacting the company, they are asking for the corrupted file, which does not contain account numbers or anything like that, but this seems shady, so am not wanting to send them anything.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to MS Windows forum (based on haake's forum signature) since this is an operating system question
Open Office 3.2 operating on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: Software for recovery of corrupted Calc file

Post by RoryOF »

Try using an undelete utility to see if it can recover an image from the hard disk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A zip repair tool may be sufficient. I fixed some files with the Linux zip program. Any professional support requires access to the corrupted file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

haake wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:19 pm ... the company [is] asking for the corrupted file, which does not contain account numbers or anything like that, but this seems shady, so am not wanting to send them anything.
That is a very reasonable request as analysing the actual file may enable them to recover more data.

Upload the file so it can be analysed and possibly repaired. Click Full Editor and Preview. Click the Upload attachment tab below where you type for files up to 128 kB max; or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.

See Why is my Writer file full of #####? for an explanation of files which open with the ASCII Filter option and are full of #####.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.