Crash attempting to install an extension

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
freg

Crash attempting to install an extension

Post by freg »

Edit: Split from [Solved] Where to put downloaded extensions? because that topic is solved and now you have a new problem. 

Thanks for the replies people.

I opened OO and used the tool "Extension Manager" as suggested.

The first extension that I selected was "organon.oxt"

A small progress bar came up and didn't move after about 15-20 minutes.

OO was unresponsive in the one other open window.

I forced OO to quit.

Since then, despite a restart of the iMac, OO crashes upon starting.

Clicking the icon results in a MacOS quit unexpectedly report,with the Reopen option giving the same result.

Looks like I broke it. :(
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on MacOS 12.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Where to put downloaded extensions?

Post by Zizi64 »

First, and very important note:
The .oxt extensions mostly are third party softwares. It is better to ask the developer, the author - if you have a problem about the extension.

Second note:
Some of the older extensions became incompatible with the newer versions of the Office suites. For example when the Python version is changed inside the office suite. (This extension seems as a python based extension...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
freg wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:53 pm Should I put them in a folder in the "/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4/user/extensions" somewhere?
No, do not make manual changes to the user profile. OpenOffice maintains that directory, and you could break it unless you are very careful and know precisely what you're doing.

freg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 am Since then, despite a restart of the iMac, OO crashes upon starting.
Extensions are installed by the Extension Manager into your user profile. If you have damaged it with an extension which doesn't work with your OpenOffice version you can reset it to the default profile which was created when you first installed OpenOffice. While extensions can provide valuable new features, keep in mind that they are not created by the OpenOffice development team, and may not receive updates needed to support new versions of OpenOffice. They can change the way OpenOffice works so it no longer matches the documentation or the Help files.
Q02: How do I create a new profile on a Mac?

freg wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:53 pm I have downloaded several extensions from the site "extension.openoffice.org" that should help with some tasks that are frequently used.
To avoid possibe profile damage from other extensions, you may want to consider installing them first on the Guest User account where you can test to see if they work with your versions of OpenOffice and MacOS. The user profile there is separate from the user profile on your standard account. MacOS will delete the Guest User's OpenOffice user profile when you have finished your tests and log off the Guest User, so when you log on to the Guest User in the future you will have a clean profile with no extensions. I find it convenient to enable Fast User Switching when working with the Guest User account.
Q28: How do I use the Guest User account to run a test?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
freg

Post by freg »

So far I have tried the following:-

1.) Renamed the folder "user" in the ~/library/Applicatiuons Support/Open Office/4 directory to old_user. Then relaunched OO and received the same crash report immediately, same behaviour as previously

2.) Deleted the above folder,"user" and emptied the trash, then relaunched OO. Again, the same crash report comes up immediately, same as before.

3.) Deleted the "user" folder as above, then activated the Guest login on my iMac and logged in as a guest, then launched OO. No crash report appeared, the OO icon appeared in the dock and very briefly had the black triangle below it o show it was active before it disappeared.

I'm not sure what to try next.
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on MacOS 12.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For advice on stability and re-installation on a Mac I must leave you to Mac Users.

I suggest that, until you have a good re-install, you do not try to install organon.oxt; it may be that the version of python in which it is written clashes with that of your Mac installation.

What do you wish to achieve with that extension? If it is to assist the writing of a large project, there may be other extensions (or standalones) such as Manuskript, oStoryBook, and others, that will achieve the same end.

Also: do not try to overthink things - go with the defaults!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

According to the extension's web page the Organon extension is not compatible with LibreOffice 5,6,7.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

freg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:39 am Deleted the "user" folder as above, then activated the Guest login on my iMac and logged in as a guest, then launched OO. No crash report appeared, the OO icon appeared in the dock and very briefly had the black triangle below it o show it was active before it disappeared.
I do not experience this problem. There are no developers in this forum who could analyze it. Read these posts about similar difficulties. Perhaps one will match your symptoms. Reboot your Mac if you have not done so yet. If you solve the problem, I am interested in how you did that so I can update Mac FAQ.

Word processor (Pages), spreadsheet (Numbers), and presentation (Keynote) applications come pre-installed from Apple on your Mac. You can use them if you are having trouble with OpenOffice. See Mac FAQ Q59/A59. Perhaps LibreOffice will work better for your situation. It is similar to OpenOffice.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

2018-02-18: OpenOffice 4.1.5 crash on run up on OSX High Sierra
2018-03-01: OpenOffice crashes on Mac High Sierra & Sierra
2018-05-30: [Solved] Cannot launch 4.1.5 on High Sierra 10.13.4
2018-06-29: [Solved] OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook
2019-01-12: [Solved] Crashes upon opening
2019-06-21: OpenOffice will not open at all
2019-09-26: Draw crashes the app
2019-11-27: [Solved] Crash when changing Anchor in formatted field
2020-11-17: Issues with OpenOffice 4 crashing on Mac
2020-11-18: [Solved] Crash opening document on MacOS 11.0 (Big Sur)
2020-12-26: OpenOffice Apache 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1
2021-06-21: OpenOffice crashing on Mac
2021-07-04: OpenOffice 4.1.2 Fatal Error (central configuration issue)
2021-08-23: Error messages, losing documents, contact crashing
2021-09-20: OpenOffice Crashing on macOS
2021-09-26: Updated Mac...Then Open Office will not open
2021-09-29: OpenOffice crash during PDF export or copy/paste
2021-10-19: Version 4.1.1 not reading files, keeps crashing
2021-10-28: [Solved] AOO 4.1.11 crashes on macOS
2021-12-20: [Solved] Constantly crashing after 30 seconds open
2022-08-07: OpenOffice 4.1.13 crashes on MacOS Monterey 12.5
2022-08-07: Open Office won't open any document
2022-08-08: OpenOffice 4.1.13 crashes on MacOS about 15 sec after opening
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Re: Crash attempting to install an extension

Post by MrProgrammer »

freg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:39 am I'm not sure what to try next.
Try to reproduce the problem on the Guest User account after you disable option OpenOffice → Preferences → OpenOffice → Online Update → Online Update Options → Check for updates automatically. Do not allow OpenOffice to check for updates.
Q28: How do I use the Guest User account to run a test?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer