[Solved] Disable auto numbering

Discuss the word processor
Marscaleb

[Solved] Disable auto numbering

Post by Marscaleb »

EVERY. FREAKING. TIME.
How do I disable this?
Every time I start a paragraph with "I..." or "...I" it gets turned into this "Bullets and Numbering" thing.
How do I stop this?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
robleyd

Re: How do I disable auto numbering?

Post by robleyd »

See if How do I disable this one auto format? helps.

Note that you can press Ctrl+Z immediately after the numbering is applied to undo it.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

robleyd wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:44 am See if How do I disable this one auto format? helps.
There's no relevant advice in that thread; in fact the only one who responded outright denied that this even happens.
robleyd wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:44 am Note that you can press Ctrl+Z immediately after the numbering is applied to undo it.
Yes but I shouldn't have to. I'm in the middle of writing; usually writing something with a particular bit of emotion to it. The sudden and unrequested formatting disrupts the writing and creative flow. The feature needs to be outright disabled.
Furthermore, when I need a plank line after that it continues to add the numbering format back in.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Options > Apply numbering...
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If there is no space before the first period and there is a space after the third period, that is recognized as numbering. If there is a space before the first period and after the third period, that is not recognized as numbering and the three periods are replaced by an ellipsis.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Marscaleb wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:49 am
robleyd wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:44 am See if How do I disable this one auto format? helps.
There's no relevant advice in that thread; in fact the only one who responded outright denied that this even happens.
Nevertheless, the advice is eventually the good one, pointing to the correct setting, as confirmed by Bill.
Indeed, it may not work for some and I can reproduce that because the 3 periods are first replaced by the ellipsis, thus there is no period that can be recognized to trigger the autonumbering recognition.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Bill wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:40 am Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Options > Apply numbering...
With this applied writer still removes my indentation, changing my formatting and forcing me to back and make corrections.
I'm sorry but the problem still persists.

The actual "bullets and numbering" dialogue may be removed, but Open Office Writer is still altering my formatting in an undesirable way.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Disable auto numbering

Post by Bill »

When you insert a new paragraph it inherits the attributes of the previous paragraph. The previous paragraph in the screen shot is not indented. It may or may not have a first line indent. Please upload a sample document with instructions for reproducing the problem.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Bill wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:42 am When you insert a new paragraph it inherits the attributes of the previous paragraph. The previous paragraph in the screen shot is not indented. It may or may not have a first line indent. Please upload a sample document with instructions for reproducing the problem.
This forum doesn't seem to allow me to attach a file.

My indentations are not a property of the paragraph; I am actually hitting tab each time to manually create an indentation.
But when that paragraph begins with "I..." or "...I" OOW deletes that tab-character that I added.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

To upload an attachment instead of using the Quick Reply text-box click on the button below it titled Full Editor & Preview. Once in that interface look for the tab below the text-box titled Attachments and click on it — and from there you can post an attachment.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Marscaleb wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:44 am
Bill wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:40 am Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Options > Apply numbering...
With this applied writer still removes my indentation, changing my formatting and forcing me to back and make corrections.
I should have been more explicit about this setting. It is checked and applied by default. It needs to be unchecked so it is not applied.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

LastUnicorn wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:11 pm To upload an attachment instead of using the Quick Reply text-box click on the button below it titled Full Editor & Preview. Once in that interface look for the tab below the text-box titled Attachments and click on it — and from there you can post an attachment.
Ah geez, I was looking around in the upper bar.
Okay, I've attached the files now.
Part1 is just some text I wrote, and then Part2 is that same text but after hitting enter and the end of the last line.
Bill wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:58 pm
I should have been more explicit about this setting. It is checked and applied by default. It needs to be unchecked so it is not applied.
No, you were quite clear. Checking and unchecking that box does make a difference; when applied hitting enter in the situation I described turns it into a whole "bullets and numbering" section, wheras when it is unchecked it removes my indentation.
I'll admit that the latter is less annoying, but it still is making undesired formatting changes to my document, so the real problem persists.
Attachments
Part2.doc
(9 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Part1.doc
(9 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Using .doc deprecated format may be the issue.
Can't you work in native ODF (.odt for text)?
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Hagar Delest wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:42 pm Using .doc deprecated format may be the issue.
Can't you work in native ODF (.odt for text)?
This issue occurs before I save the file; there is no way it is an issue with the file format.
But here, have another copy in the odt format.
Saving it that way didn't change the results.
Attachments
Part12.odt
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Part11.odt
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I see that also with LO 7.3.5.2.
But it's deactivated by the option Delete spaces and tabs at beginning and end of paragraph.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Okay, with disabling both of those options the problem has stopped.
Thank you for your support.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There are no indents in the paragraphs in the sample files. Indents in Writer are properties of paragraphs. The tabs that have been inserted at the start of the paragraphs are non-printing characters which insert white space. They are not considered real indents. Instead of inserting tabs, right-click the first paragraph and select Edit paragraph style. On the Paragraph Style window, click the Indents & Spacing tab and change the appropriate indent settings.