[Solved] PDF links say: You don't have permission to view

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
rnlafferty

[Solved] PDF links say: You don't have permission to view

Post by rnlafferty »

Hello!

I'm working in Calc with a document created over several years, in which I've linked to pdf documents on my computer. The links have worked perfectly fine for years, until today. Today, several (most) of the links now refuse to open and I'm told that I haven't got permission to view the file - I'm told to "view or change permissions in the Finder." However, even when I've done that, and given permission for *everyone* to read/write the pdf, the same problem occurs. Any suggestions about what's happening here and how I could fix it? There are nearly 800 links in the Calc document, and I'm concerned I've over-loaded it or something.

Thanks!

Edit: Changed subject, was Pdf Links Not Working 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.10 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
LastUnicorn

Re: Pdf Links Not Working

Post by LastUnicorn »

Don't know it will help, but try reading this thread and see if you are experiencing something similar: [Solved] Warning when opening hyperlinks in OpenOffice

In any case, detailing the exact error message you get would be helpful to people who might know how to proceed in getting a solution.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
rnlafferty

Post by rnlafferty »

I've attempted to open things in Libre office as well, to no avail - and attach here the error message as a screen shot. Web links work just fine - it's the links to documents (pdfs) stored on my computer which aren't working. :( I haven't moved the documents (which was my first worry), and the permissions as noted on my computer don't indicate any sort of bar (i.e., I, my "staff" and "everyone" have permission to read and write).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 2.09.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 2.09.14 PM.png (36.53 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Investigate the permissions you have.

What happened when you followed the instructions in the error message?

Where (ie what path) is the PDF file located? The .ods file? Place the .ods file and the PDF on the desktop and link to it. Does that work?

Please upload a small .ods file which shows the problem.

Click Full Editor and Preview. Click the Upload attachment tab below where you type for files up to 128 kB max; or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
 Edit: It works for me in AOO when I place test.pdf on my desktop and in ...\Desktop\test.ods I link to it with Insert > Hyperlink > Document. When I click the link, Adobe Reader opens test.pdf.
test.ods
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Re: PDF links say: You don't have permission to view

Post by MrProgrammer »

rnlafferty wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:56 pm The links have worked perfectly fine for years, until today.
In over ten years on the forum I don't recall hearing of this problem previously.

Can you reproduce the problem if you reboot MacOS?

Did you do anything recently which would be helpful for us to know? It is much harder to help if you're withholding that information. Something has changed, and I doubt if the problem is due to the phase of the moon. Did you, for example:
• Install new OpenOffice or LibreOffice software?
• Install MacOS updates?
• Make changes to  → System Preferences?
• Install other new software?
• Make changes to anti-virus software or settings?
• Make changes to backup procedures or software?
• Activate or make changes to iCloud settings?
Q63: Can I use OpenOffice with iCloud?

Can you reproduce the problem in a new Calc spreadsheet with a new PDF document?
Can you reproduce the problem on the Guest User account? If links work on the Guest User, you could try a profile reset on your other account.
Q28: How do I use the Guest User account to run a test?
Q02: How do I create a new profile on a Mac?

If you select the PDF in Finder and use File → Open, does the document open in Preview? If not, what happens?

rnlafferty wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:56 pm There are nearly 800 links in the Calc document, and I'm concerned I've over-loaded it or something.
There are a couple of ways to create links in Calc. If you need any additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). I will not respond further without an attachment. We really don't want a document with 800 links, though, and a very large document won't be accepted as an attachment. Can you make a copy of the spreadsheet, delete most of the content, and reproduce the problem?

You should attach a copy of your PDF too. But at least the spreadsheet will show how your link to the PDF has been constructed. Be sure to specify which cell on which sheet contains the link which is giving you trouble. I will ignore a response without that information.

If this is your MacOS problem, it might affect only you and I won't experience it with the files you attach. For a MacOS problem you might get better help on an Apple forum. This forum focuses on OpenOffice (and derivatives) and there is limited MacOS expertise here.

John_Ha wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:05 am It works for me in AOO
Linking to a PDF, either method, in AOO opens it for me and does not create a "You don't have permission to view" error.
202208191256.zip
Contains a spreadsheet and PDF target
(20.74 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
rnlafferty

Re: [Dropped] PDF links say: You don't have permission to view

Post by rnlafferty »

Hello,
Not sure you'll see this as I was away for a few weeks and it appears to have been dropped, but: the answer to all the questions from MrProgrammer are no (no new installs or updates, no dice when I reboot), but I can access the documents themselves, through my finder. I did attempt to duplicate the problem, as you suggested, with a clean spreadsheet, and the same things happens (I also created a new user profile with no luck). I admit I am not very saavy with these things, so I hope I've understood the suggestions correctly (and my VERY sincere thanks for the time you took to post them).

I've duplicated (and significantly shortened) the spreadsheet, and left only a few lines. The first two are copied exactly as I have them in the original file, but the pdfs cannot attach here as they're too large. I created a third one, the "Jackson reference" which links to a small png file, which is attached here (and which also doesn't work in my link).

Thank you again!
Attachments
RefToJackson.png
RefToJackson.png (15.64 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
PSListCOPY.ods
(38.82 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
rnlafferty

Re: [Dropped] PDF links say: You don't have permission to view

Post by rnlafferty »

Hello again - for anyone who needs it: I got my partner (who works on Linux with Xreader) to look at this, and unbeknownst to me (because I didn't know where to look) there *was* a minor system update, involving Preview. This update, for whatever reason, meant that links within Open Office and Libre office were not functioning. If we opened them once through the finder, we could use the link in the OO file, but a few minutes later, it wouldn't work (if we'd opened another file, for example). So, I swapped out Preview for Skim as my default PDF viewer, and every single link is now functioning as it should, and I have stopped cursing.

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions!