Create a backup: one file or many

Talk about anything at all....
koden

Create a backup: one file or many

Post by koden »

Hi forum

I have a calc document where different people is scanning barcodes to.

I have auto backup enabled and I have save automatic every 1 minute enabled.

I can see auto save is working every minute,if there have been a change in document.
Thats just fine. I have a backup then.

I noticed that first time autosave runs, it saves a .ods_0
Next time it updates this file to .ods_1 and next time back to .ods_0 and so on..

This gives me a little problem.
If people by accident delete some info in the calc document, there will be saved a new backup, and the backup .ods_1 will be updated to .ods_0.
The deleted info will then be gone forever.

Is there a way to save every backup file in it's own file instead of merging into the existing .ods_X ?
So it would look like this instead

.ods_0
.ods_1
.ods_2
.ods_3
.ods_4
and so on

I know this will generate a lot of files, but since they only are 5 kb and is deleted every day, it wont meen anything.
open office 4.1.11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: create a backup: one file or many

Post by Zizi64 »

.ods_0
Do not use more characters after the three letter filename extension

Try to use the timeStampBackup extension (written by my son (Levente) and me).

You can launch the main sub of the extension by the change-counting routine suggested in a previous topic.
Just combine the two of functions

https://kovleventer.com/
http://flowcont.hu/LO_oxt_store/

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 73#p527273
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Create a backup: one file or many

Post by John_Ha »

koden wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:38 pmI have auto backup enabled and I have save automatic every 1 minute enabled.
AOO does not have an Auto Backup feature in the sense you want.

The AOO Always create a backup copy ..., keeps the previous version of the saved file fred.ods as fred.bak.

The AOO AutoRecover feature creates AutoRecovery files for fred.ods called fred.ods_0.ods etc. These are hidden files intended to allow AOO to recover your file if AOO or the PC hangs. If AOO closes normally these files are automatically deleted. These files are not intended for user use.

Investigate using a database where multiple people can update the database and the database will protect the data integrity and provide a history of updates. A spreadsheet is a very poor substitute for a database.

If you must persist, investigate (Google for) using a proper file synchronisation system to synchronise the same file across several PCs. Does Google Drive do what you want?

Investigate a proper backup system like Cobian which will make backups of the file where multiple previous backups can be set up.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
koden

Post by koden »

Fine fine.. no problem. Just want to be sure there was'nt some kind of function.
I will just use it as it is.
database I know... maybe a solution to switch to in future.

Thanks for clarifying info :-)

Zizi64: If iget time I will have a look.
Until now I try to do it as simple I can, because I'm not sure about how to do.
Also thanks to you.
open office 4.1.11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

When I plug in a certain USB hard disk, my operating system starts a dedicated backup program.
It analyses all of my personal files (some of them 20+ years old) and copies the ones that have been changed since the last backup to the USB disk. When it finished the backup, it checks every single file if it is identical with the original one. The backup is encrypted. If I ever lose the USB disk, nobody will have access to my files. From time to time it prompts me for the recovery password and tests if the latest backup is recoverable. That program was installed together with my Linux distribution and the configuration process was a matter of two or three minutes. I'm 100% sure that such programs exist for the Windows platform.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm When I plug in a certain USB hard disk, my operating system starts a dedicated backup program. ...

That program was installed together with my Linux distribution and the configuration process was a matter of two or three minutes. I'm 100% sure that such programs exist for the Windows platform.
@Villeroy: purely out of interest, have you a program name?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Thanks, Villeroy.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm I'm 100% sure that such programs exist for the Windows platform.
Indeed there are many both free and pay for.

I have used the free Cobian for 20 years or more. It is set to take a full backup every 30 days and I keep three previous versions; and incremental or differential backups every day. I can recreate my PC as it was at 4pm on any of the last 90 days. I have had two disks fail but haven't so far lost a file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.