Corrupt Draw file

Discuss the drawing application
tyobiwan

Corrupt Draw file

Post by tyobiwan »

Hi,

by saving a OpenOffice drawing file crashed and since the file is corrupted, do you have a way to even view the content so that I can at least extract the information or repair it?

The file is available here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oy78Os ... sp=sharing

Thank you so much for your help
OpenOffice 4.1.11 macOS / OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: corrupt draw file

Post by Lupp »

I don't think the file ever was actually an odg file. There is neither the expected content nor is the file actually damaged. It can neatly be opened with an unzipper.
There are images contained, and you may be able to get them back by opening the file as an archive with, say, 7-zip.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RoryOF

Re: Corrupt Draw file

Post by RoryOF »

My reply to this same problem for the same file on the User mailing list:

The file is damaged and will not open as an OpenOffice Draw file. However, if it is renamed to type .zip, it will open with an archive manager, and the 71 illustrations can be extracted from the internal folder Pictures, to be inserted into a fresh document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It appears to me to be a properly formed .odg file but one which has been truncated so content.xml is missing. See the tutorial below which includes:
I have now (2021) proved conclusively that AOO does not prevent Windows (or other OS) from shutting down a PC during the time AOO is actually writing a file to disk. This is being investigated by development - see Issue 126869 - Analysis Task: Lost/Corrupted Documents after Save/Shutdown - Comment 46. This does not cause the ##### problem but gives a separate problem where it truncates a .odt file and, typically, content.xml is missing or truncated.
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (7.88 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
tyobiwan

Post by tyobiwan »

Thanks a lot for your help, i will get back the images
OpenOffice 4.1.11 macOS / OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10