[Solved] Unable to Import Access Table & Forms

Discuss the database features
Gulfstream01

[Solved] Unable to Import Access Table & Forms

Post by Gulfstream01 »

Good Morning

I have downloaded OpenOffice this morning, and am now trying to import my Access DB into Base. I am doing the following :-

x Connect to an existing database [ Next ] [ Browse ]

Selecting my Access Database " SQL_Data" [ Next ]

x Yes Register the database
x Open Database for editing [ Finish ]

Saved as NewDatabase2
ODF Database [ Save ]

I then get the following message :-

The connection to the data source "New Database2 " could not be established
Function Sequence Error

Base then hangs and requires the task manager to end the task

I checked my Java Settings under Tools -> Options -> Java and found

x Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_321

Would anybody be able to provide any advise as to where I am going wrong ( The access DB is rather large 900,000 + records )

Best Regards

Adrian
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Unable to Import Access Table & Forms - Help !

Post by Villeroy »

First of all, I can't tell anything about that error which causes your database connection to fail. In case of success, you get the raw tables and queries. Forms and reports are implemented completely differently in Base.

Access is a multi-billion Dollar product which started in the 90ies. Base is a tiny addition to this office suite with a footprint of some 30 MB.

You should use LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice which is no longer maintained.
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/

As far as I know, connecting a Base document to some MS Access file has nothing to do with Java. It should work without a byte of Java being installed. Nevertheless, LibreOffice for Windows is a 64-bit application whereas OpenOffice remains in 32 bit mode which can not interface with a 64-bit Java.

What you try to do is not an import anyway. You link a Base document to an Access database. This is the same as if you were connecting an Access document to MySQL or any other external database. The database remains the same which is just fine in most cases.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Gulfstream01

Re: Unable to Import Access Table & Forms - Help ! - solved

Post by Gulfstream01 »

Many Thanks for the reply Villeroy,

I think because I will loose all my forms etc it will be better to stick with access

Many Thanks

Adrian
Open Office 4.1.11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Unable to Import Access Table & Forms - Help ! - solved

Post by Villeroy »

Indeed, Access is the superior database tool. However, if you prefer Libre/OpenOffice as an office suite, a working Base connection allows you to use the Access DB as a source of data for mail merge, label printing, calculation models etc.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice