[Solved] Importing a scanned object to fit a blank page

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
manxman202

[Solved] Importing a scanned object to fit a blank page

Post by manxman202 »

Good afternoon all.

I have several scanned images of a book pages which I need to rearrange in Open office Writer.
When they were scanned I used the Snipping Tool in MS to get rid of the outter bits that were not wanted, Just a form of cropping I suppose.

I started a NEW DOCUMENT and dragged the fitst SNIP (PNG) onto the first page but it neded fitting to the page. I know how to use the dragpointss to do this and it works fine, but it is LABOUR INTENSIVE when there are 90 odd images.

So my question really boils down to this..........

IS there a way somewhere in the set up to do this automatically. Just drag the image onto the blank page and have it enlarge to fit.

Unfortuately I am severly sight challenged now with AMD Central vision gone, and other nasties, so using the dragpoints to size the image to the page is challenging indeed. So any ponters about this problem will be more than welcome. So I will leave it there for now and hope to SEE (Hoho) if some kind soul can help/ Stay safe and well.
Manxman202.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun May 08, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Importing a scanned object to fit a blank page

Post by John_Ha »

I cannot think of an easy way to do multiple images and I think you will need to do each individually. Image files have a setting called Canvas Size which specifies their size on paper and you need to change it.

Dragging the handle is probably the best way.

If the image width (ie the Canvas size) is greater than the page width between margins then Writer will fit the image between the margins.

Right-click the image > Properties ..., will find an option to set the image size in paper.

An alternative is to adjust the Canvas Size in an image editor like IrfanView.

IrfanView has a Batch option which allows you to process multiple images but I cannot remember if setting the Canvas Size can be changed in batch.

Does your scanner give the option to set the Canvas Size? If so, set it to equal to or wider than the page width.

Google change canvas size multiple images to find lots of hits: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=change+canvas ... fpas&ia=qa

See the Tutorial on images for further information and details if IrfanView.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

John_Ha wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:08 am ...
An alternative is to adjust the Canvas Size in an image editor like IrfanView.

IrfanView has a Batch option which allows you to process multiple images but I cannot remember if setting the Canvas Size can be changed in batch.
If the goal is to create some kind of pdf resembling the original scanned book, I'd really use IrfanView, because this is no project for a text-processor, but a print-job for photos (of pages with text, but the content does not matter).
  • I assume the scanned files have file-names fitting pages like p001.png, p002.png so the order of the pages is obvious.
  • Next assumtion: Due to the manual crop you have different width of the pictures. You have to define a maximum width to use for a page, for example
    20cm / 2.54 cm/inch * 300 dots per inch if you scanned at 300 dpi.
  • Start IrfanView, select t for thumbnails, select your 90 pages and select Batch-Mode from the Menu.
    Chsnging can as width is in advanced options quite in the middle. You should place the original photos in the center of thr new canvas and write all new files to a new directory.
  • IrfanView has then also options to generate a pdf of all this files, but note: This is not the same as a regular writer-file, as it contains only photos/scans of the pages, no text, nothing searchable.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
manxman202

Post by manxman202 »

Good afternoon

Many thanks for the advice given in your comments, Yes, the book pages were all scanned and given names sudh as SNIP ! A and so on up the scale. so it seems that using Irfanview is the next step for me. It will be a new learning curve and being part sighted will make it difficult, but being well retired now I have a lot of time.

So stay safe and again thanks

Manxman.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Importing a scanned object to fit a blank page

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that when you insert a pic in a Writer page with the menu Insert > Picture > From file (or the button, I've customized my standard toolbar to display it), then the pic will fit the page width (if the pic is larger).

Writer may still be a good bet if you need additional bells and whistles (like cover page, page numbering...).

I've tagged your topic as solved, feel free to remove the tag and the icon if you consider it is not the case yet.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Importing a scanned object to fit a blank page

Post by John_Ha »

In IrfanView go File > Batch Conversion/Rename.

Select all the files needing to be changed.

Select Use Advanced Options. Click Advanced to open a window with many options including the option to resize the image size in cm or inches. Use the Resize (or alternatively use the Canvas size > Settings option).
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (125.55 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.