[Solved] Date 3/4 it appears as a tiny number ¾

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Debo

[Solved] Date 3/4 it appears as a tiny number ¾

Post by Debo »

When formatting a column of numbers as date (example: 3/10/2022), I can enter any number such as 3/10 and it appears as 3/10/2022 when I hit enter. EXCEPT when I enter 3/4 it appears as a tiny number 3/4 rather than as a date. No amount of attempts at formatting will change this. Help?
 Edit: Changed subject, was Bug with formatting date... 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon May 02, 2022 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice.org 3.2.0
000320m12 (Build9483)

Operating systems:
1) Windows XP on a 32 bit HP Pavilon a350n Desktop; and
2) Windows 7 Home Premium on a 64 bit HP G71 Notebook PC Laptop
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Bug with formatting date...

Post by Zizi64 »

EXCEPT when I enter 3/4 it appears as a tiny number 3/4 rather than as a date.
It is an Autocorrect feature. The Calc recognize the "code" 3/4 and substitute it by an Unicode character: ¾.
You can switch off the whole feature, or you can delete only this one item of the feature in the Settings.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Re: Bug with formatting date...

Post by MrProgrammer »

Debo wrote:EXCEPT when I enter 3/4 it appears as a tiny number 3/4 rather than as a date.
[Solved] 3/4 typed in cell is converted to ¾
This is the AutoCorrect feature, not a bug. If you don't want the feature, disable it. Personally, I disable every Autocorrect option.

If you want to leave the feature enabled, enter that date as 03/4 or 3/04 or 3/ 4 or 3 /4, since those methods avoid the three-character sequence 3, /, 4, which triggers the AutoCorrect.

No one here knows whether date 3/4 is supposed to be the 4th of March of the 3rd of April. Both conventions are in common use, depending on where you live, and you haven't said. Depending on your locale you can also enter, Mar 4 or 4 Mar or 3 Apr or Apr 3 or 3-4. Experiment to find what works in your locale.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Date 3/4 it appears as a tiny number 3/4

Post by Villeroy »

Enter 3/4/ with 2 slashes when this happens.
This works only when auto-correction is off. I do not want to miss that feature completely. However, I don't want it in sheet cells. So I created my default template for spreadsheets with language "[None]" on the font tab which turns off auto-correct for this cell style and all of its children. Whenever I need to enter human language text into a sheet cell, I use an English or German cell style with the right language setting and number format "@".
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-04-23 07-35-29.png
Last edited by Villeroy on Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Date 3/4 it appears as a tiny number ¾

Post by Zizi64 »

There is an international standard for unambiguous, accurate date display.
ISO 8601 is an international standard covering the worldwide exchange and communication of date- and time-related data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
The Calc can recognize all of date-time values in format
YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS
with various locale settings.
Then you can format the date-time values as you want it.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.