[Solved] Checking for an update failed

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
kmarler18

[Solved] Checking for an update failed

Post by kmarler18 »

Hey ya'll,

I'm running the latest version of OpenOffice 4.1.11. When I check to see if there are updates, I get this error message. It's not a huge deal b/c I currently have the latest version and it's running fine, but it makes me paranoid it won't download the latest version when it does come out. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 12.37.50 AM.png
 Edit: Changed subject to match actual error text, was Error checking for updates 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Open Office 4.1.8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Error checking for updates

Post by Villeroy »

kmarler18 wrote:but it makes me paranoid it won't download the latest version when it does come out.
OpenOffice is walking dead. Once a year they realease a version with very few bug fixes so they won't be thrown off the Apache foundation. And sometimes they have to release a second one in the same year because the first one was faulty.
Since 11 years LibreOffice is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice (including a working update notification).
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Re: Error checking for updates

Post by MrProgrammer »

kmarler18 wrote:When I check to see if there are updates, I get this error message
Issue 128535 MacOS: Application crashes 30 seconds after opening if "check for automatic updates" is turned onQ50: The automatic updates feature is not working. How do I fix it?

This is not a developers forum, so no one here knows what updates might be coming. No one can "fix" anything. All we can do as suggest how to avoid the error. If you choose to continue with OpenOffice, as I do since I am more interested in stabiity than new features, you should realize that any updates are likely to be very minor and may not be of much value to you. I've disabled the update check and am no longer bothered by the error. I can check via my Safari bookmark what the latest available OpenOffice version is at the Download page.
Download.png
Q22: How do I tell what version of OpenOffice I have?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).