[Solved] Will OpenOffice continued to be developed

Talk about anything at all....
denisxiang16

[Solved] Will OpenOffice continued to be developed

Post by denisxiang16 »

Hi everyone,

this is my first time using OpenOffice, and I would like to know about this,

Since OpenOffice has not been updated ever since October of 2021, will OpenOffice be continuing development?

and with the Apple M1 transition expected to be finished by later this year, will OpenOffice be ported to Apple M1 Mac Computers?
Last edited by denisxiang16 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis Xiang, OpenOffice on macOS Monterey, OpenOffice 4.1.11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Will OpenOffice continued to be developed

Post by John_Ha »

In my opinion...

... AOO, or Apache Open Office, is walking dead due to lack of developers to develop it. AOO seems to me to struggle even to produce the mandatory "two updates per year" required to keep the Apache brand. AOO appears to be "functionally stabilised" and I doubt new function will ever be added or significant bugs get fixed.

LibreOffice was forked from OpenOffice.org some years ago and most of the OpenOffice.org development team transferred to LO. LO is under active development. LO has fixed some of the major bugs causing complete user data loss in AOO files, and has vastly improved the "lost images" problem. LO has better compatability with MS Office file formats and can write to .docx/.xlsx/.pptx etc formats.

After about 20 years of using OO and then AOO I transferred to LO last year.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Will OpenOffice continued to be developed

Post by Villeroy »

The last visible new feature was the side bar in 2013.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice