[Solved] LibreOffice or OpenOffice?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Morisa

[Solved] LibreOffice or OpenOffice?

Post by Morisa »

I am confused that isn't LibreOffice a fork of OpenOffice? An if yes, why LibreOffice calls itself "a successor to OpenOffice.org" while OpenOffice is still being developed?
Last edited by Morisa on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.0.0 Microsoft Windows7
FJCC

Re: LibreOffoce or OpenOffice?

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice development is almost nonexistent. There are still some maintenance releases but no major changes have been implemented for several years. I still happily use it as it meets my needs. LibreOffice is actively developed, which is cool if you need new features.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Re: LibreOffice or OpenOffice?

Post by robleyd »

From Wikipedia
In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take a copy of source code from one software package and starts independent development on it, creating a distinct and separate piece of software. The term often implies not merely a development branch, but also a split in the developer community; as such, it is a form of schism.[1] Grounds for forking are varying user preferences and stagnated or discontinued development of the original software.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

See the dates of the newest main versions of the AOO and the LO:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#History

and see the list of the subversions of the LO since the main 3.3 (the forked) version:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also this query about LO & AOO.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
elbmek

Re: [Solved] LibreOffice or OpenOffice?

Post by elbmek »

Having just arrived, I noticed this thread. Is Open Office alive or dead? I have installed libre because it wont let me re-install OO.
Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge. Win 10 Home. Open Office 4.1.11
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

As I said above, there is work on maintenance releases but not major development of OpenOffice. The project committee was voting on releasing 4.1.12 last week.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

elbmek wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:36 pm Having just arrived, I noticed this thread. Is Open Office alive or dead? I have installed libre because it wont let me re-install OO.
Having installed any version of LibreOffice you should uninstall it explicitly if you want to downgrade to an older version of LibO or to install AOO (Apache OpenOffice, so the official name of this successor of OpenOffice.org since it was passed from Oracle to the Apache foundation) again.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Morisa wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:19 pm ... why LibreOffice calls itself "a successor to OpenOffice.org" while OpenOffice is still being developed?
Because LO wants to.

AOO and LO are different programs which both started out as the OpenOffice.org program. AOO and LO are run by different people. Your question has some similarity to "Why does Nissan make cars when Ford makes cars?"

It's up to you to choose which you want to use.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
sveld

Post by sveld »

Apache OpenOffice, so the official name of this successor of OpenOffice.org since it was passed from Oracle to the Apache foundation
It's IMO a matter of opinion; the OO.org community at the time were fed up with Oracle's behaviour so moved on to TDF+LO. Then Oracle donated the name and code to Apache creating AOO. I would think both are a successor of OO.org. As LO syned the code from AOO after that, one could say LO is the successor of AOO looking at the progress both project made over the years.

While one keeps discussion this situation and not solving it Microsoft just laughs at us... OO+LO would be a 1+1=3
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

sveld wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:20 amI would think both are a successor of OO.org.
Correct
sveld wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:20 amAs LO syn[c]ed the code from AOO after that, one could say LO is the successor of AOO looking at the progress both project made over the years.
Not quite correct. There are undoubtedly changes made in AOO after LO forked which are in the current AOO but which are not in LO. This is the reason the word "forked" is used: it establishes the precise time, and hence the exact code, at which the divergence between codes began.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
sveld

Post by sveld »

There are undoubtedly changes made in AOO after LO forked which are in the current AOO but which are not in LO. This is the reason the word "forked" is used: it establishes the precise time, and hence the exact code, at which the divergence between codes began.
Agree that AOO made changes, tough quite limited and I would guess nothing that isn't already in LO. It doesn't matter, we ended up with two projects with near the same goal<G>
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud