[Solved] Query functions menu (GROUP, etc) not accessible

Creating tables and queries
Fernando Exel

[Solved] Query functions menu (GROUP, etc) not accessible

Post by Fernando Exel »

Hi, could anybody help me with this ? Tks

I am building a query where I want to GROUP items according to a certain field and obtain totals (SUM) of other fields

However, on the query edit screen, the Functions menu (GROUP, SUM, etc) is not accessible, the only option it shows is NO FUNCTION

This problem happens only when I´m using the option "Connect to an existing database". The existing database I´m using is an OpenOffice spreadsheet

I am using OpenOffice 4.1.11 and Windows 10 Pro

Thank you for your help
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.11 , Microsoft 10 Pro
MrProgrammer

Re: Query functions menu (SUM, GROUP, etc) not accessible

Post by MrProgrammer »

Fernando Exel wrote:I am building a query where I want to GROUP items according to a certain field and obtain totals (SUM) of other fields. … The existing database I´m using is an OpenOffice spreadsheet
I believe you need a real database backend to perform grouping queries. I've read that the Base driver for a "spreadsheet" backend limits you to:
SELECT [DISTINCT] <field list> with aliases FROM <single table> WHERE <conditions> ORDER BY <fields> ASC|DESC

A spreadsheet "database" will always be read-only. If you ever need to update the data, you must open the spreadsheet with Calc. You can't do it through Base because its spreadsheet driver only supports limited features.

However, since your data is already in a spreadsheet you can use a Pivot Table to group and sum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Fernando Exel

Re: Query functions menu (SUM, GROUP, etc) not accessible

Post by Fernando Exel »

Dear MrProgrammer,
Thank you for your help
It is a pity functions (group, sum, etc) are not available when using option "Connect to an existing database"
I will explore the Pivot Table alternative mentioned by you
rgds
OpenOffice 4.1.11 , Microsoft 10 Pro