File becomes a vertical line on desktop

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
robbyn

File becomes a vertical line on desktop

Post by robbyn »

Sometimes calc files all but disappear from the desktop. Instead of being reduced to a reasonable size or staying open in the background, a file becomes a very narrow slit, which is difficult to find. If I find it I can drag it open. Then it can be made to fit the screen as the file was not closed just over reduced. How do I stop it from getting so small?
Libreoffice v7.2.0.4 on Ubuntu 20.04 Locale en-GB
Hagar Delest

Re: file becomes a vertical line on desktop

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it happen for Writer as well?
I've moved your topic in the Linux forum since it seems more a desktop manager issue.
Can you upload a screenshot?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
robbyn

Re: File becomes a vertical line on desktop

Post by robbyn »

I will post a screenshot when it repeats.

I had hoped it was a known problem. The file is so minimised that it appears as a very thin vertical white line. Very difficult to spot on a crowded screen and often it has been hidden behind other open files.
Libreoffice v7.2.0.4 on Ubuntu 20.04 Locale en-GB
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Can using the zoom slider at bottom right of OpenOffice window help - pull that to 100%, or set 100% in corner box?

Also, format in which you Save is important; .ods is best.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I've never seen this happen spontaneously, so I don't know how to prevent it. Finding and resizing the window shouldn't be difficult. Use Alt+Tab to select the window, then use Alt+Spacebar to open the window's system menu and select "Resize". Then use the right arrow key to widen the window.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RoryOF wrote:Can using the zoom slider at bottom right of OpenOffice window help - pull that to 100%, or set 100% in corner box?
The problem seems to be that there is no access to the AOO window itself. It's not an issue with the content of the spreadsheet.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Adxl

Post by Adxl »

This happens consistently on my Ubuntu box after loading a CSV file. The resulting window with the data is maximized and upon selecting demaximize the window becomes a very thin barely seeable window.

I have been able to switch to the window using the launcher bar to select the window. Then Alt-F8 should allow you to resize it.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 Ubuntu 21.04