Problem with bold shortcut (⌘N) in Writer

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
SlarDptor

Problem with bold shortcut (⌘N) in Writer

Post by SlarDptor »

Hey there.

My problem is that bold shortcut (which is ⌘N) is not bolding but rather opening a new fresh document. I guess that's a default behavior that's overriding the bold shortcut. Anyway, I tried assigning another shortcuts for bold through tools > customize > keyboard (while following official instructions), and they work, but I ask myself: Why would they assign ⌘N for bold if they knew it's for opening a new document? So this must be an error and I would like to just use the default ⌘N shortcut for bold. Any ideas?

I tried googling this for a while a didn't find anything of the matter, so I decided to just make the question here. Thanks!
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_MacOS_x86-64
RoryOF

Re: Problem with bold shortcut in Writter

Post by RoryOF »

I don't use a Mac, but the shortcut for Bold on all versions of OpenOffice I have used is Ctrl B, which would translate to Cmd B on a Mac. Ctrl N has always been "Open a new Writer document", so I would expect Cmd N on a Mac to do the same.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

RoryOF wrote:I don't use a Mac, but the shortcut for Bold on all versions of OpenOffice I have used is Ctrl B, which would translate to Cmd B on a Mac. Ctrl N has always been "Open a new Writer document", so I would expect Cmd N on a Mac to do the same.
Command N opens a new Writer document on Macs.
Command B is the shortcut for Bold on Macs
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

When my UI is set to Spanish, CTRL + N activates bold text. CTRL + N is shown also as the shortcut for File -> New (Archivo -> Nuevo) but the bold text is what actually happens. What are the settings under OpenOffice.org -> Preferences -> Languages?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.