Read Only Status

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Mary Lowrider

Read Only Status

Post by Mary Lowrider »

My documents are stuck in "read only" status.
I desperately need to access them to make corrections which are not allowed in read only status.
Also, the font size has jumped to 600+ %. I'm getting like 3 letters to a page.
HOW do I get this to change?

The cause is probably my mouse. It has recently started to double and triple click on items (i.e. facebook, games, etc) that I never intended to click on.
I haven't had a chance to get to the store to replace it yet
Open Office 4.1.4
Desktop computer.
RoryOF

Re: Read Only Status

Post by RoryOF »

To get the scaling correct, either pull the slider at bottom right of the OO window to the left, or enter 100% (to start with) in the % box at bottom right of the screen, or use /View /Zoom and choose 100% to start with. You may then adjust the 100% to a smaller or larger value, as best suits you. Alternately, right click in the % box, or double left click in it, and choose one of the presets. I like Page Width best, but which you choose is up to you.

Now use the file Manager to move to the folder where you Saved your document(s); Enable viewing of Hidden and archive files (Google for how), and _with OpenOffice closed_, delete any files there of form

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
These will be small files, of size a few hundreds of bytes, whereas their associated (the "owning") file will be several kilobytes. Do not delete the wrong files.
 Edit: If you cannot see the slider, turn on /View /Status bar to display that bar at bottom of screen. It will show you current page number and page count on the left, then the Page Style in use, the language in use, insert/overwrite mode, selection mode, Section name (if OO Sections are used), and on the right display options, the scaling slider and the scale factor (% box in the corner). If doing serious editing one might have Status Bar displayed all the time. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Re: Read Only Status

Post by RoryOF »

You may find it of use to read some instructions for guidance.

This document is informative:
Writer for students (several languages)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS