[SOLVED] Password Protection "Incorrect" w/ correct password

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Daviswoody

[SOLVED] Password Protection "Incorrect" w/ correct password

Post by Daviswoody »

I saved a Writer file as a .docx with a password. When I enter the password to open the file, it tells me that "The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
I replicated the issue with a new file, to confirm that I was in fact using the correct password.

Any ideas?
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 6.2.1.2 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Password Protection - "Incorrect" even when correct pass

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
A search for your problem brought back this topic, which, in turn, refers to this topic
You can read those topics, but to summarize, the solution appears to be to open your file using LibreOffice.
We do not recommend using the .docx format, and, in fact, OpenOffice doesn't have the ability to save in that format. LibreOffice does.
Your forum signature should be updated, as there is no OpenOffice 6.2.1.2 version (or at least, not yet).
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix links
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Daviswoody

Re: Password Protection - "Incorrect" even when correct pass

Post by Daviswoody »

Solved, 15 character password limit.. It cut off the end of my password.
OpenOffice 6.2.1.2 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Password Protection "Incorrect" w/ correct pass

Post by Villeroy »

I confirm that LibreOffice cuts off the final "f" from password 0123456789abcdef when saving password encrypted docx. It does not do so when saving the same file in Open Document Format with password encryption.
LibreOffice's save-as dialog offers pgp encryption for xlsx. When you give a try, you get a dialog to select the key and the warning about foreign file format, the file is saved but remains unencrypted. Pgp encryption works fine with Open Document, of course.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Password Protection "Incorrect" w/ correct pass

Post by Villeroy »

LO 6.4 fixed the issue with max 15 char passwords in xlsx
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.4
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice