Unexpected result pasting URL copied from Edge

Discuss the word processor
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Why won't they fix the url issue, bug vs feature

Post by JeJe »

@Bill
For me copying from the Edge address bar in windows10 and pasting into OO Writer (Ctrl+V) creates a hyperlink with "Google" as the label.
Doing the same from the Firefox address bar gives the URL in plain text.

So its down to what the copy operation puts on the clipboard.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

This is the html fragment Edge puts on the clipboard - ignore where its gone blue that's this site detecting a hyperlink, imagine its all plain text - you can see where it contains >Google<
Firefox doesn't create an html fragment when something is copied from the address bar.

If you don't have an html fragment like this on the Clipboard in the first place Writer can't put it in your document.
You could write a macro to add it how you want it from the plain text url - but that's the only way.

Version:0.9

StartHTML:0000000105

EndHTML:0000000221

StartFragment:0000000141

EndFragment:0000000185

<html>

<body>

<!--StartFragment--><a href="https://www.google.com/">Google</a><!--EndFragment-->

</body>

</html>
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JeJe wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 pm @Bill
For me copying from the Edge address bar in windows10 and pasting into OO Writer (Ctrl+V) creates a hyperlink with "Google" as the label.

Thanks for that confirmation. Now open the Settings in Edge and select “Share, copy and paste”, then select the “Plain text” option. After making this change, copying from the Edge address bar and pasting in Writer should paste the address instead of the title and it should no longer be necessary to open the Hyperlink dialog and paste the address in the Text box which was joeoo's original complaint.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thus, in the end, the root cause is the Edge settings. Note that I tried with MS Word and Edge and the result is of course identical to Writer, it pastes the page name instead of the plain url.

At least Writer provides a shortcut to paste the mere url. Or you can create one to do so.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
joeoo

Post by joeoo »

Hagar Delest wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:58 am Thus, in the end, the root cause is the Edge settings. Note that I tried with MS Word and Edge and the result is of course identical to Writer, it pastes the page name instead of the plain url.

At least Writer provides a shortcut to paste the mere url. Or you can create one to do so.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
the issue is not solved...people will bring it up over and over..
just because you think it's ok, to have to jump thru hoops, to get writer to give you a WYSIWYG past of urls is solved.. doesn't mean it will go away..
not to be rude.. but,, come on.. why pretend the issue isn't real.
OpenOffice 4.1 on windows vista 32 bit
joeoo

Post by joeoo »

JeJe wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 pm @Bill

odd I can past urls form clipboard to many other documents/apps/programs from edge or chrome..and just writer wants you to jump thru hoops to past.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

joeoo - Has Bill understood correctly what your problem is and Writer doesn't do what you want it to without a rewrite of the programme - which isn't going to happen here as we aren't developers of the program?

If that's the case its solved as a thread - which is what this forum is about, and what the [Solved] means in thread titles.

Edit: I wrote some macros which might or might not have been relevant but you ignored them and ignored people's questions asking you to clarify what you wanted, so its all too big a headache for me. Bows out...
joeoo

Post by joeoo »

JeJe wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:39 am joeoo - Has Bill understood correctly what your problem is and Writer doesn't do what you want it to without a rewrite of the programme - which isn't going to happen here as we aren't developers of the program?

If that's the case its solved as a thread - which is what this forum is about, and what the [Solved] means in thread titles.

Edit: I wrote some macros which might or might not have been relevant but you ignored them and ignored people's questions asking you to clarify what you wanted, so its all too big a headache for me. Bows out...
I'm sorry you think I ignored you,, that was not my intent, but maybe, I'm tired of the issue,,, I just want it to work,, I thought I had explained the issue in detail, .. close the thread.. but others will be asking the same question,, .. They/we/I don't want to run unknown scrips, just to get a WYSIWYG of a url. sorry. the issue will continue to irritate me..
thanks for what you do..do..
respectfully.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

joeoo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:58 am I thought I had explained the issue in detail
You understand what you mean - when people ask you to clarify it means you haven't explained it so they understand it. And when you ignore questions and don't post a simple example document showing the result you want people can't help you.

Its open to you to have another look at this thread and all the questions and requests for a sample document you ignored - including the posts and 4 documents which I posted and all my requests to get you to clarify. Maybe there's a simple macro that does what you want as a workaround but unless you do that i can't help.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The issue is not with Writer but with Edge.
If you hit Ctrl+V in Writer or MS Word, you get the page name.
If you hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V in Writer (no such feature in MS Word AFAIK), then you get the url. If you cant to change the shortcut to have plain text with Ctrl+V then you can do it. Or assign the plain text paste to another shortcut. THIS is the fix that let me think that your issue has an answer. Like it or not.
Note that this is the first topic ever on this issue un the forum, I guess that the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V shortcut should suit most users.

If you don't like it, then ask the devs on the mailing list.

We are just users like you, no dev at all in this forum. It is not a race to the [Solved] topics, We don't really care (we are all volunteers helping others on our free time), it is only useful to other users looking for an answer to such issue. And there is one in this topic.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

joeoo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:58 am ...WYSIWYG of a url.
A URL has a name and an address. The phrase "WYSIWYG of a url" is ambiguous, leaving it up to anyone reading your posts to interpret what you mean. From your previous posts, I assume that you want AOO to always paste the address, not the name. Is that wrong?

You've also not made it clear how you are copying the url. Again, from your previous posts I assume that you're copying from the address bar in Edge. Is that wrong?

With every other Web browser, copying from the address bar copies the address only as plain text and pasting in Writer pastes the address which is then converted by Writer to a hyperlink. Edge on the other hand copies both the name and the address as HTML. By doing this, it is Microsoft's intention that the url name be pasted as a hyperlink to the address. The address itself is not pasted. If you want the address pasted, then change the option in Edge so Edge copies the address as plain text like other Web browsers. It's a simple solution which doesn't require any changes to AOO/LO. If you insist on modifying AOO/LO to accommodate Edge, then submit enhancement requests, but don't expect any action in the near future since there is a simple workaround.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'm still baffled. Bill provided the answer earlier in this discussion:
Bill wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:12 pm Apparently Microsoft has changed the copy and paste of URLs from the Address Bar in Edge. They are now copied and pasted as a hyperlinked title instead of a URL. This may be why you're having the problem. Try changing the default behavior in Edge.

Improved copy and paste of URLs in Microsoft Edge
Thus, there are either a setting to change in Edge or a shortcut to be used in Writer (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V).
Can't this discussion be closed?