Documentation of OpenOffice BASIC objects, etc.

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
mdawson69

Documentation of OpenOffice BASIC objects, etc.

Post by mdawson69 »

My company is exploring using OpenOffice to supplement out use of Microsoft Office. We use macro-enabled Excel workbooks extensively and wish to use automated spreadsheets in Calc for data entry temps. The spreadsheets have to control where the data entry temps navigate on the spreadsheet and validate the data that they enter. I have been looking through several sources in an attempt to convert the VBA code base to OOo BASIC and it has been nothing short of a daunting task. Where objects, methods, properties and events are concerned, this is even more frustrating. I have looked through the online help in Open Office and both online sources—the Basic Programmer's Guide and the OOo Developer's Guide—to no avail.

The built-in documentation has no information on objects and their associated methods and properties. The IDE lacks an object browser and the online sources provide no complete resource on this topic. Does anyone know of where there is a complete list of OOo Basic objects, methods and properties with thorough descriptions and examples? We really want to explore OpenOffice as an option, but the lack of adequate documentation is troubling.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista.
Hagar Delest

Re: Need thorough documentation of OOo BASIC objects, etc.

Post by Hagar Delest »

Here are some links:
- Where to find OO Basic Documentation (in 1 package)
- List of Commands, properties and Methods
- Is there a guide for OOBasic and Base in 3.0?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

Thanks. I will investigate those links.
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

OK, I have looked through the links and they pretty much direct me to the same sources I have already surveyed, cited in my original post and do not provide the information that I need. I have already downloaded XrayTool, but as I am in the process of attempting to generate code a run-time tool is completely useless to me. All of these sources are clearly directed toward developers and not people that simply want to write macros. I need to control a spreadsheet for a specific need, not create the next build of OpenOffice.

I feel dirty for even writing this, but the type of documentation that I need is the kind of top-level language reference that Microsoft provides in the VBA IDE or through MSDN (read: something Redmond did right). For instance, if I were to look up the ThisComponent object, I would expect to be provided with the following:
  • — a description of the object
    — associated sub-objects with links to a description of those objects
    — associated methods with links to a description of those methods
    — associated properties with links to descriptions of those properties
    — associated properties with links to descriptions of those events
    — examples
In other words, the information that a VBA programmer needs to write macros and not the underlying code, classes, design philosophy that someone on the VB design team needs to know and the rest of us could not care less about.

So I ask again, does such documentation exist or is everything effectively fragmented developer-speak?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The most relevant link is the one to the SDK I think. Have you tried it?
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

The only SDK link I saw was the one in Villeroy's post in the "Where to find OO Basic Documentation" thread which takes me to the download page. I have already downloaded and installed the SDK. From what I have read there is supposed tom be documentation included in the download, but I cannot find any information as to how to access that documentation. I initially thought that it would add API help to OpenOffice's help, but no such luck. Is there something else that I am missing?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In the SDK, there should be an index.htm page from where you can start IIRC.
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

From what I have read there is supposed tom be documentation included in the download, but I cannot find any information as to how to access that documentation.
From that time OOo changed documentation not incuded in SDK, it moved to wiki, Documentation, where you can find Developer's guide.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

mdawson69 wrote: For instance, if I were to look up the ThisComponent object, I would expect to be provided with the following:
  • — a description of the object
    — associated sub-objects with links to a description of those objects
    — associated methods with links to a description of those methods
    — associated properties with links to descriptions of those properties
    — associated properties with links to descriptions of those events
    — examples
In other words, the information that a VBA programmer needs to write macros and not the underlying code, classes, design philosophy that someone on the VB design team needs to know and the rest of us could not care less about.
Unfortunately, this cannot be done with OpenOffice.org.
It is not possible to describe the object ThisComponent, simply because it may be different objects : a Writer document, a Calc document, a Base document, etc, each with specific methods, properties, and sub-objects.

The underlying concepts are complex, either you have to read the Developer's Guide + the IDL definition, or on a higher level, read the Programming's Guide, which has some errors and is not up-to-date. There are also lacks in the Developer's Guide and IDL.
That's why it takes years to be fluent in OpenOffice.org programming.

If you can read french, buy the book Programmation OpenOffice.org 3, it is probably the only user-oriented documentation on most of OpenOffice.org API and Basic. But even this 920 pages book cannot answer all questions.
______
Bernard
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

I put my 5 cents in here because what the OP says sounds only too familiar to me.
If you come from MS Office you are used to build your macros starting with the macro recorder. Post processing the macro code to change the absolute cell addresses and file names. Fortunately the MS macro recorder generates code that is close to the code that a programmer would use. This step is quite user friendly, because you can simply select an object or method and hit F1 to get to the documentation and understand what most of the single commands do.

You'd better not rely on the macro recorder in OpenOffice. Instead you need to have a good understanding of Services
and Interfaces. As long as I did not get this concept the excellent XRay tool did not really help me.
I recommend to start with:
I recommend to use these two references together with some sample macros (either those that are in $OOoInstallDir/basis/share/basic or the ones from Andrew Pitonyak or maybe the code snippets of the forum http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewforum.phtml?f=11) to get a feeling what you can do with OOo Basic. And I think Andrew has written a book as well.
It took me about 2 months to get to the point where I started to use XRay again and learned to see the API reference http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/r ... le-ix.html as a friend and not as something that only wants to scare me.
And please bear in mind that the OOo API is in contrary to the Microsoft counterpart not only meant for Basic programmers, but also for those who use Python, Java or Javascript.

But to give you a direct answer to your ThisComponent question: You may not find this for ThisComponent, but you can find it for a Calc Sheet as an example: http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/r ... le-ix.html. Yes, right, you will be intimitated by the wast list of Services and X-Interfaces, but be brave and click on XCellRangeData or one of the other names, that does not sound too exotic.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
valedor74

Post by valedor74 »

Excuse my English.

You are right, lack enough documentation "clear", if you know some Spanish, my book takes you step by step through programming in Calc, is almost complete

The dozens of examples I think you will serve

http://www.universolibre.org/?q=node/2

Best regards

Mauricio
OpenOffice 3.1 en ArchLinux
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

Sorry, I have been away for a while because my computer was being rebuilt due to the hard drives filling up. Simple things like re-installing the OS on a Wintel PC remind me of why I am a Mac user.

Anyway, rudolfo seems to be better understanding my point about documentation. I have in fact ordered a copy of Andrew’s book. I will also look into the links he cited.

As to macro recording, I have been writing code in various languages from assembly language and BASIC to Modula-2 and C++ for just shy of 28 years, so for me the macro recorder in MS Office is more of an assistive tool when I want to get an idea of how to emulate a front-end operation. I never use code from the macro recorder in my programs beyond the objects, methods and properties to which the macro recorder can draw my attention for certain tasks. VBA has an exhaustive object-class structure so the macro recorder has more often than not been a source of discovery so that I can develop my own code. Ironically, Microsoft has done a very good job of documenting VBA’s language and functionality within office as well as online through MSDN.
B Marcelly wrote:

Unfortunately, this cannot be done with OpenOffice.org.
It is not possible to describe the object ThisComponent, simply because it may be different objects : a Writer document, a Calc document, a Base document, etc, each with specific methods, properties, and sub-objects.
It may not have been done, but providing thorough cross application documentation is quite possible. If I query a command, function, object, etc., in VBA help that may have slightly different uses in various Office components then the help screen provides a disambiguation list just as a search tool such as Google does on the Web. So if I search for a method that can be applied to two different objects then I get a list that allows me to get details about that method for one object or the other. There is no reason why a query in OpenOffice help for something like ThisComponent could not give a linked page that shows something like:
ThisComponent as it relates to:

Writer
Calc
Base
Impress
If Microsoft can do this in their help then anyone can. What you are basically confirming for me is that OpenOffice does not include good, all-inclusive documentation for macro developers.
valedor74 wrote:

You are right, lack enough documentation "clear", if you know some Spanish, my book takes you step by step through programming in Calc, is almost complete
Thanks, but I am an American and therefore only speak two languages: English and Bad English.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

If Microsoft can do this in their help then anyone can.
Anyone who has Microsoft's resources maybe. The development allocation for OOo is tiny, and a lot of the docs etc come from volunteers.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

TheGurkha wrote:

Anyone who has Microsoft's resources maybe. The development allocation for OOo is tiny, and a lot of the docs etc come from volunteers.
You will get no argument from me on that fact. My response, though was to Bernard’s assertion that such documentation is not possible, which is patently false. It would simply take considerable effort on the part of the open source community to thoroughly document OOo Basic and the associated APIs in a similar manner, but it is far from impossible.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

mdawson69 wrote:It would simply take considerable effort on the part of the open source community to thoroughly document OOo Basic and the associated APIs in a similar manner, but it is far from impossible.
Nothing is impossible. It just depends on the level of resource available. So the word "impossible" has been used regarding the current development model of OOo. No OOo team will be set up for such a task because there are other priorities such as improving the software and fixing bugs.

But if you want to, just do it.
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

Well, I was able to solve my problem based on a suggestion in Dr. Mark Alexander Bain's book Learn OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet Macro Programming. The last chapter is on VBA support in OpenOffice if one installs the Novell Edition, which I have done. Now the test workbook that I created in Excel for experimentation in OpenOffice works flawlessly by simply adding one line to the top of each module,

Option VBASupport 1

which is done automatically when the workbook is opened. Obviously, there is not 100% compatibility. For instance, a workbook that a developed as a software package for a client has a splash screen that pops up when it is opened, but does not appear when opened in OpenOffice NE. The same automated workbook also has custom menus that again do not appear in OpenOffice NE. Given how we intend to use OpenOffice, particularly Calc to supplement Excel, those issues are not a real problem as the controlled data entry workbook that I tested in OpenOffice NE works as it should. The only discrepency is that the Tab key is not recognized so navigation must be performed with the left and right arrow keys instead of Tab or Shift + Tab.

Most enterprise users in a VBA-rich environment can seriously consider OpenOffice if they are made aware of the Novell option. Ironically, no one here even seemed to hint in that direction. Macro developers are typically not full-time programmers and do not have time to waste on dealing with APIs and SDKs that they are not accustomed to dealing with in the first place. We need a scripting language that permits workflow enhancements and controls to be quickly implemented without worrying about the underpinnings of the scripting language or the application that is being scripted. In its current state OOo Basic caters to full-time software developers and not the macro writing community. Our developers have other things to do and I am a simulation modeler/systems analyst that needs to author scripts to improve my workflow and that for others in the office.

I can now take time as it becomes available to explore OOo Basic now that I have a solution that allows me to otherwise author macro-enabled spreadsheets in Calc in the interim for the reason my company opted to explore OpenOffice in the first place. I can appreciate that OOo teams prioritize improving the software and fixing bugs, but without decent documentation particularly targeting the audience that writes macros, let alone building an object structure into OOo Basic so that people without a Masters in computer science can quickly get to working on scripting projects as they can with VBA, OpenOffice quickly becomes very unattractive to productivity suite power users in enterprise.
Tobin

Post by Tobin »

Howdy mdawson69,
WOW - Soooo - let me get this straight. :shock:
If I use the Novell Edition of OpenOffice, that has enhancements for VBA, all that is needed to write macros for Calc in VBA is add the "Option VBASupport 1" statement at the top of the macro.
Am I really reading that right or just wishful thinking? :D
Tobin Sparks
OOo 3.0, XP
Houston, Texas USA
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

Tobin wrote:

If I use the Novell Edition of OpenOffice, that has enhancements for VBA, all that is needed to write macros for Calc in VBA is add the "Option VBASupport 1" statement at the top of the macro.
Am I really reading that right or just wishful thinking? :D
Nope, it is not wishful thinking. I thought it was too good to be true when I read about it in the book, but it worked. Dr. Bain's book was published nearly three years ago and explicitly states,
So, by the time you read this there is every change [sic] that you should be able to download a fully released version of OpenOffice.org with VBA support. If that's the case, the all you have to do is install the latest version from the OpenOffice.org website.
He was referring to a quote from Noel Power who is apparently a major player in getting VBA support into OpenOffice.org for Windows Novell Edition. Clearly, as of version 3 release 1 the standard OpenOffice download still does not have VBA support... maybe. The book then goes on to state,
However, if that's not the case, then you can still download Novell's version.
Now some brave soul with the standard edition of OpenOffice could test if adding that one Option statement allows them to write and execute VBA code. I would be interested to read how that works out. Given that this thread started out in reference to the fact that documentation for writing macros in OOo Basic is sorely lacking, I would not be surprised if VBA support was added and not made known.
Tobin

Post by Tobin »

Howdy mdawson69,

Well I did a little experimenting and found the OOo 3.1.1 does support the "Option VBASupport 1" statement. In fact if I open a .xls with a macro in it, OOo adds the statement as long as the Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> VBA Properties are appropriately checked.

Attached is my little experiment. I was just trying something as simple as making two cells contain the same value. This CAN be written in a way that is recognizable by both programs. It's not the way I would normally write it, but, that in itself is a huge step, although there is a long way to go. The OOo Novell Edition seems to have exactly the same capabilities. No more no less.

This is one of those things that raises so many other questions -
1) What is Novell doing with OOo? They have never supported Open Source type software. This could turn out to be a good thing or a really bad thing.
2) Will (or actually) CAN this progress into full VBA support? Or will M$ insist on a cut, even if there isn't any thing to cut. At present it's extremely limited.

Anyway - Thanks for the heads up

OH - One thing - This doesn't seem to address your issue of getting all the references to the OOo Objects. That seems only possible with complete VBA support. Something to look forward to though, maybe :D .
Attachments
OOoAPITest.xls
(23 KiB) Downloaded 1849 times
Tobin Sparks
OOo 3.0, XP
Houston, Texas USA
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
mdawson69

Post by mdawson69 »

Well I did a little experimenting and found the OOo 3.1.1 does support the "Option VBASupport 1" statement. In fact if I open a .xls with a macro in it, OOo adds the statement as long as the Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> VBA Properties are appropriately checked.
Good to know.
This is one of those things that raises so many other questions -
1) What is Novell doing with OOo? They have never supported Open Source type software. This could turn out to be a good thing or a really bad thing.
2) Will (or actually) CAN this progress into full VBA support? Or will M$ insist on a cut, even if there isn't any thing to cut. At present it's extremely limited.
I was talking about this very thing with one of the owners of the company I work for this morning. Upon further investigation, Novell's interest here is to get enterprise users up and running. That is, Novell is offering tiered paid support plans for companies that are willing to migrate to OpenOffice.org or at least use OpenOffice.org to supplement the installed base of for pay productivity suites. As it states on Novell's Website, macro developers in enterprise do not have the time to scour open source forums for information so Novell provides unlimited support to subscribers.

I work for a small company, so I had a lull between projects to explore the OpenOffice, but that is not true for most people in the corporate world. My "spare" time began to dwindle last week as I began my part on a large project in which we are now engaged and disappeared as I entered the report writing phase today. While VBA support in OpenOffice is far from 100%, it is enough for what I tested and where my company sees a place for OpenOffice at this time. While anyone, can download the Novell Edition of OpenOffice, it is evident by the support price structure that the enterprise market is their target.

Can this progress into full VBA support? Perhaps. VB and VBA, in particular with its application-specific extensions, are quite extensive. Novell's VBA team also has to deal with not only the differences between the two basic languages, but also the finer details. For instance, permitting Cells(1, 1) in VBA to map to A1 for cross-application compatibility, although that same cell reference is (0, 0) in OOo Basic. The plus is that VBA and OOo Basic code can exist side-by-side permitting a macro developer comfortable with VBA to explore their options in OOo Basic as they develop code. Also, based on a little poking around today, the Novell Edition seems to have more built-in help specifically in reference to macros than I found in the standard download.
abhaysobti

Post by abhaysobti »

Hi

I found this lovely documentation of sCalc objects. Hope it benefits you too as it helped me. Unfortunately, I cannot recall where I downloaded this from.

Abhay
Attachments
Calc API.odt
sCALC documentation
(107.45 KiB) Downloaded 2872 times
OpenOffice 3.0 on XP
dsky

Post by dsky »

Let me second the recommendation in abhaysobti's post on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:51 am. The document "Calc API.odt" is an absolute godsend. I would describe it as a classic Programer's Reference Guide. The meat of it is the listing of objects, collections and structures, each one followed by its appropriate methods and properties.

I was on the brink of giving up on Open Office programing and returning to Visual Basic out of sheet frustration with the former's documentation. Malcom Ripley's work turned that all around, and now I've been able to write some very nice little spreadsheet procedures.

This documentation certainly must have taken a lot of effort to put together. I hope Malcom will be able to devote more time to it in the future to keep it up to date. Any new version will be very welcome.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

this e-Book has everything about macros...
www.pitonyak.org/OOME_3_0.odt
-----
using latest X-LibreOffice release, made portable by winPenPack.com
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1354
pitonyak
Volunteer

Post by pitonyak »

Tommy wrote:this e-Book has everything about macros...
http://www.pitonyak.org/OOME_3_0.odt
As of today (September 7, 2011), I have a bit more content to add to the Write and Calc chapters. I can then move on to things such as Draw, Impress, Dialogs, etc...

I host this document here:
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

The German translation is in progress and hosted here:
http://www.uni-due.de/~abi070/ooo.html
Andrew Pitonyak
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
LO and AOO on Fedora
Philip Duggins

Post by Philip Duggins »

It seems to me that OpenOffice has tremendous potential in areas that have not yet been very fully developed. I am not a full-blooded programmer. I do write macros quite a bit, but I have always stuck to Microsoft Office and VBA, because of the lack of documentation in OpenOffice. There seems to be a much wider gap between programming and end-users in OpenOffice than in MS Office. I seemingly have to be an experienced technician and dedicate years to learning a mind-boggling technical vocabulary in order to truly be able to write good OOo macros, bu it took me just weeks to go from knowing absolutely nothing about VBA to being able to write macros that would solve simple design problems at my engineering school - using nothing but Excel. OOo has that same potential! The good that it could do in the world really is incalculable. I would be tremendously excited about minimizing the programmer-layman gap in OOo in the future.

Many thanks to Andrew Pitonyak for providing the material that he has. I haven't been able to dive into it yet, but I hope to when I get a chance. Material on macros for drawings, presentations, databases and formulas would be appreciated more than I can express.

Thank you!
Philip Duggins
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on Windows XP
mike phillips

Post by mike phillips »

mdawson - you will see I have also been calling for a similar effort on this thread http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 20&t=48076 (despite opposition from somewhat surprising quarters that obviously do not understand C or Qt!). In my experience in the past, those fiercely loyal to a topic/programming system/hobby/whatever have always found the time to 'help' those trying to climb the ladder and not throw barricades in their way, thereby holding back the progress of the issue. There are indeed those quoted in this forum who are trying just that and they are to be thanked. Certainly Mr Ripley's contribution looks excellent.

mdawson - can we establish that the vba facility is NOT required on the client machine in order to run libre office vba macros?
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7
mike phillips

Post by mike phillips »

mdawson - I have sent you a Private Message (this is in case you have deselected the 'notify' function.)
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7
jelang

Post by jelang »

abhaysobti wrote:
I found this lovely documentation of sCalc objects. Hope it benefits you too as it helped me. Unfortunately, I cannot recall where I downloaded this from.
I found Mr. Ripley's web site. The two documents that he wrote in September 2007 are available at

http://www.ripleyhome.com/toolbox.html

It looks like he may have stopped using the web site but the documents can still be downloaded from there. Even the family pictures on his web site are ancient.
Jim
OOo 3.3 on Vista
LO 3.4.5 on XP
LO 3.5.0 on Kubuntu 12.04
shambhagwat

Re: Documentation of OpenOffice BASIC objects, etc.

Post by shambhagwat »

please see this link for micro development.
[http://openoffice3.web.fc2.com/OOoBasic ... #OOoCCF01a]
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled live link
Appache OpenOffice 3.4 on Window XP SP3
jza

Re: Documentation of OpenOffice BASIC objects, etc.

Post by jza »

shambhagwat wrote:please see this link for micro development.
[http://openoffice3.web.fc2.com/OOoBasic ... #OOoCCF01a]
Hi shambhagwat,
Would be great to have these on the wiki, if you find the time to re-publish I am willing to help with the format and tempalte for documenation.
AOO 4.1.1 on Arch Linux