Avery K-5512 Labels on Konica PagePro 1350W

Using them, Making them, Finding them
benatwhodotnet

Avery K-5512 Labels on Konica PagePro 1350W

Post by benatwhodotnet »

I have been trying to use OO quick starter to open a new template and select a user-defined label compatible with the Avery K-5512. These labels are slightly longer than 11 inches allowing use of the 1-inch labels which have approximately .08" space between on each side. I set up the user label format horizontal pitch 2.75", vertical pitch 1.08", width 2.63", height 1.00", left margin .19", top margin .50", Columns 3, and Rows 10. Most of this was from a prior "canned" label and was residual when I created the new "user" label. As I recall I changed only the vertical pitch to add the space of .08".

The label sheet looks correct in print preview but prints starting at 4.25 inches or half-way across the sheet. There is no second page and the print is to the edge, no margin on right. To correct this I went to the print preview and selected "print options page view" to change from Columns 2 to Columns 1. Then I closed the preview and select Format Page to change the page layout from Right and left to Mirrored. I do not understand why these settings are what they are and why I am having to change them, but it is the only way I can print the labels. Then to print the labels I must again use Print Preview to get to the "Print Page View" button (only available from print preview). Printing with the printer icon button next to the print preview icon does not print correctly, still starts half way across page.

Then if I save the document as a .doc (my normal default so that I can share with others) then it cannot be used again for printing labels and loses the Synchronize button completely on reuse. The document is no longer formatted to the same spacing and prints 10 label rows in the space of 9.

I will try saving native OO formats, but I have not had any trouble using .doc for other documents and re-opening them. Also, this will not likely effect the desired printing since I had that trouble before saving in any format.
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Avery K-5512 Labels on Konica PagePro 1350W

Post by foxcole »

benatwhodotnet wrote:The label sheet looks correct in print preview but prints starting at 4.25 inches or half-way across the sheet. There is no second page and the print is to the edge, no margin on right. To correct this I went to the print preview and selected "print options page view" to change from Columns 2 to Columns 1. Then I closed the preview and select Format Page to change the page layout from Right and left to Mirrored.
I don't use OpenOffice to print labels, so am looking at this from the standpoint of styles and settings rather than anything specific to labels.

The Right and Left option specifies that the margin settings should apply to both odd and even numbered pages, and Mirrored tells OpenOffice to shift margins and other details as for a book layout (for example, it uses "inside" and "outside" margins to automatically place extra space for the book binding on the side of the page that will be bound). So, Right and Left should be the appropriate setting for label sheets.

This may seem like a silly question, but what page orientation is the page style, and what orientation is the label sheet? For an 11" label, I would expect the label sheet to be landscape oriented, so the page style should be too. Since you didn't mention text orientation as a problem, this likely is already set up correctly, but some printers handle page orientation differently than others so I needed to ask.

Which "canned" label template did you use?
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
benatwhodotnet

Re: Avery K-5512 Labels on Konica PagePro 1350W

Post by benatwhodotnet »

Thanks for the help with Right and Left and Mirrored.

The orientation is portrait as the sheet is 11 inches top to bottom and 3 labels wide (30 per sheet address labels). Saving in native OO format has not cured the problems. The default label starting point is any Avery template for 30 labels per sheet without the .08" gap (labels touching each other at edges). These templates are common and have a top/bottom margin of .5 inch.

The really pressing issue is why I cannot save a new template or label for reuse when I finally get it to print correctly. Particularly puzzling is the synchronize button and how it gets activated or deactivated in Writer.

Ben
Glendale AZ