[Issue] Multimedia Keys in Windows and Openoffice

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Kidnotorious

[Issue] Multimedia Keys in Windows and Openoffice

Post by Kidnotorious »

I searched on the forums and couldn't find anything related to this, but when I have Openoffice open, specifically (I have only tested this) Writer, and also have say Windows Media Player open in the background, I cannot use the multimedia keys, such as playback, FF, or even the volume control.

Has it got something to do with the Media Player thingo they have added to the tools menu? It is fairly irritating when I want to change volume, and I need to make Openoffice lose focus for it to work.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Gentoo
Dave

Re: Multimedia Keys in Windows and Openoffice

Post by Dave »

That's the way that WINDOWS works, not OpenOffice. All programs are assigned key functions according to the program requirements and design. If more than one program is running, then the key assignment at the moment is the one assigned to that program ...otherwise it would be useless.

Why use Mediaplayer when there are so many other great free options for listening to music? I use the Altools option presently, but he has possibly gone commercial by now. Anyhow, there is always the mouse?

David.
Kidnotorious

Post by Kidnotorious »

It is not how WINDOWS works. I can do ANYTHING else in any other program, game or whatever, and I can still use the multimedia keys for Media Player. In any case, It is the same story with any OTHER media player or program that uses the media keys. I have tried with Media Player Classic, and it doesn't work there. Videos, Music, anything, none of the media keys function while Openoffice has focus. Click on the taskbar, they start working again. Click on the Openoffice tab on the taskbar, they STOP working.

I like to use Media Player, so what. It is the same problem in ALL media players out there that take advantage of keyboards with media capabilities like Play or even the Volume Control. OpenOffice Hijacks the media keys and puts them to no apparent use. That is not a great functionality, and should at the very least be optional. Using the mouse is counter-intuitive. If I was happy to use the mouse to switch windows everytime I wanted to change song, change volume, or anything like that, then I wouldn't have bothered starting this thread.

So to clarify, The problem is that when I am running OpenOffice, for some reason it takes the keyboard input from the multimedia keys. I am asking if this is a programmed in behaviour, or is it unintentional, and is there a way around it?
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Gentoo
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

We are just users. If you want to check with the devs, file a bug report: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10