[Solved] Background color formatting

Discuss the spreadsheet application
spyke219

[Solved] Background color formatting

Post by spyke219 »

I am trying to format a cell to change background colors when a value in another cell is met or exceeded. I know that this can be accomplished under the 'conditional formatting' section in Excel. Is Calc capable of doing this as well?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
FJCC

Re: Background color formatting

Post by FJCC »

Yes, Calc can do this. First you have to create a style that has the background color (and any other characteristics) you want. You do this under Format -> Styles and Formating. That brings up a small window showing the styles available. Pick one style, say Default, right click on it and select New. Name the new style and set it up however you want. Then select the cell you want to format and go to Format -> Conditional Formatting. Under Condition 1 set the first box to Formula Is, then enter the formula in the neighboring box. That formula might look like C2 > 80. Then set the Cell Style to the new style you just created.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
spyke219

Re: Background color formatting

Post by spyke219 »

Thank you very much for the info...I tried it and it worked...which is especially good considering I'm such a novis when it comes to spreadsheets...haha.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista