[Solved] Can't open PDF files in OpenOffice.org

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Kalina

[Solved] Can't open PDF files in OpenOffice.org

Post by Kalina »

Hello,

I am new to open office, so hope to find the answer to my question here.

Can anybody explain to why can't I open files prviously saved in pdf format using Microsoft Word? What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,
T
Last edited by TheGurkha on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged Solved. (User informed me by PM.)
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Can't open pdf. files in openoffice

Post by acknak »

The PDF document format is designed for viewing, not editing, and OOo cannot understand PDF files at all unless you install a special software add-on.

Even if you do that, opening a PDF file in OOo will not have a perfectly correct appearance, and you cannot (in general) use OOo to "edit PDFs".
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Can't open pdf. files in openoffice

Post by TheGurkha »

If you mean you've created a PDF from OOo and you want to know why Word can't open it, it's the same answer. PDF files are meant to be opened by PDF readers such as Adobe Acrobat and the many others.

PDF is not a dynamic file format like a word-processor file, inthat you can edit save, re-open, edit save etc. It is best thought of as an electronic 'print' of the document.

To share files with Word users, use File > Save As and select 'Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP' from the 'Save as type' dropdown menu. Make sure the 'Automatic file name extension' option is checked.

It is always safer to work in the native OOo formats (.odt and .ods etc) and then use Save As to save a copy in .doc or .xls format if you need to distribute it in MS Office formats. But always then go back to the native OOo version to continue working. If the people you are sending to do not need to edit the files then by all means send them a PDF as then no matter what office suite they use it will be possible for them to read and print the files, with a PDF reader.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
opeast

Re: [Solved] Can't open PDF files in OpenOffice.org

Post by opeast »

Solved: You need to install the "PDF Import Extension"
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/feat ... _Extension
(Posting this after a google search)
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Can't open PDF files in OpenOffice.org

Post by RoryOF »

Be advised that the PDF Import Extension is a quick fix, to allow simple changes to an existing PDF file. It is not intended for use as a PDF file viewer, and so may break if used on large or complex PDF files. As Gurkha said earlier there are dedicated PDF viewers, such as Adobe Reader, which may give more accurate rendering of complex PDF files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS