[Solved] Squares on a page

Discuss the word processor
Bekah

[Solved] Squares on a page

Post by Bekah »

CHET-NUN

How do I make a block of squares hold together each on their own page?

A table? It falls off onto the next page so easily.

Frames? I am not sure how to make them stick together.

Images? It would be rather labor intensive to involve an image editor.

The answer to this question is for several different pieces of work. My squares might contain imagery, text, simple shapes, or ...?

I am a fairly new user of Open Office. I thought it looked complicated at first, but slowly I see the power. I am accustomed to MS Publisher, and have some other questions on how to replicate its features.

I used the search box. Perhaps my keywords were not focused properly?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bekah
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Squares on a page

Post by foxcole »

Bekah wrote:How do I make a block of squares hold together each on their own page?
Could you describe this a little more, please? "Hold together" and "each on their own page" are contradictory terms, in my mind, so I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. Would a table layout take care of this? Or a table inserted in a text frame?
Bekah wrote:A table? It falls off onto the next page so easily.
What do you mean by falls off? You can set the table properties on the Text Flow tab, but how to set it depends on what you want.
Bekah wrote:Frames? I am not sure how to make them stick together.
Again, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. What are you trying to accomplish?
Bekah wrote:Images? It would be rather labor intensive to involve an image editor.
Sometimes an image editor is the best solution, but please be more specific about what you want to do. Are you trying to arrange a collage of images on a page, for example? Or just placing images occasionally throughout the text? Are you aware of anchor and wrapping options for images?

Please be aware that frames have style definitions, as you can see in the Navigator, and images are a form of frame, so you can set defaults or create new defaults from the Graphics frame style, for example. Without knowing more specifically what you're looking for, I can't offer any more specific suggestions.

You might want to have a look at each of the links in my sig line below for important forum information and for user guides.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
toad

Post by toad »

I don't understand the query either... Please elaborate.
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

What about the "Don't split table" option when creating it?

Or the "Allow table to split across pages and columns" option in Right-click-Table > Table... > Text Flow?

What feature(s) of MS Publisher would you use? I don't know that software, but someone else here might know the equivalent commands.

If you describe the actual task you are trying to complete, people will be able to suggest solutions.
Bekah

Post by Bekah »

CHET-NUN
I have many applications where an answer would help.
Try this, for example.
Make four postcard-sized frames, and set them on a standard 8.5" by 11 page.
Fill the frames with the same information, or vary it some. It could be text, graphics, shapes, or a combination.
Can you make the frames and their contents stay put?
Can you duplicate this page onto the next page easily?
In MS Publisher, pages seem more distinct. They do not automatically flow together.
I am sorry if this is not clear. It's a good question, but I have not the words to frame it (pun intended).
Bekah
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think tables are the best method for OpenOffice.

A DTP program will probably be better for this kind of task. In PagePlus X2 one can place picture frames on a page, and then flow a folder of images into one frame after another. It is great for catalogues and the like. Add a page and duplicate the content from one page onto the new page. This kind of feature makes some publications much easier. On other hand, working with text, footnotes, headers, cross-references, etc., can be a bit of a pain compared to OpenOffice.

Don't try to do everything in one application. Choose the best one for each task.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Bekah

Post by Bekah »

CHET-NUN

Hi all. Sorry to take so long to reply. A series of equipment failures, computer included, caused the delay. Thanks for the replies so far. Let me describe my goals a little more.

I am writing a variety of instructional media, from flash cards to sewing patterns. For some of my projects, I want a postcard sized output. Sometimes I need to print directly to that size; other times I want to print onto a standard sheet of paper then (optionally) cut it into quarters.

It is easy in both MS Publisher and OOWriter to make a postcard by formatting the page size. But I run into trouble with OOWriter when I try to place, say, 4 postcard sized boxes on a standard 8.5 by 11 inch page (sorry -- not fluent with metric yet). I cannot get them to align properly so that they cut evenly after I print.

I am unhappy with tables for this, because I cannot seem to control the height as easily as the width. Therefore things move around much too freely for me.

Maybe the answer is in something I do not understand yet about anchoring an object?

Or, perhaps templates, or styles can help?

Thanks in advance, and peace be with you.
Bekah
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bekah wrote: Can you make the frames and their contents stay put?
What happens that they do not?
Can you duplicate this page onto the next page easily?
Copy/paste?

If still having trouble, can you post it to a file-hosting site, or send a before/after screen capture here?

David.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bekah wrote:I cannot get them to align properly so that they cut evenly after I print.
Have you tried to activate the grid and use it to place your frames or textboxes, ... (Tools>Options>OOo Writer>Grid)?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Maybe this will help get you started. It's a US Letter page with four adjacent frames.

I created a frame of the size I wanted (12.5 x 9.5 cm) and I set the Wrap to "through" and the anchor to "Page", then I aligned it with the top left page margin.

I made three copies of that one, and aligned each to the page margin corners. Then I adjusted the page margins to make the frames touch (or close enough).

Finally, I set the "Protect size" and "Protect position" for each so that they don't accidentally get moved.
Attachments
Quarter_page_frames.odt
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bekah

Post by Bekah »

CHET-NUN

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

Yes! Quarter_page_frames.odt is just what I needed to know. That will keep me busy for awhile trying some modifications and adaptations.

Meanwhile, I have a related question, which I state in a page of screenshots (as suggested). Look for a new subject: Discrete pages

I'll not mark this one solved quite yet... as more questions may arise as I learn.

Peace to all,
Bekah
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am accustomed to MS Publisher, and have some other questions on how to replicate its features.
I think that this says it all, really. A word processor is simply not a desk top publisher. Good luck with the effort, but isn't it a bit too much effort? If there are two ways to accomplish a task, pick the easy one. Then get on with the real task at hand.

I'm no pro [as has been made immediately obvious in my many postings], but if concerned mostly about cost, there is a free desktop publishing program called Ragtime which might be suitable? I know of it, but am not familiar with it.

Look here for the last freeware version: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page24.html

David.
RevNomad

Post by RevNomad »

Why not use Draw with 4 text frames? It seems that would achieve your goal.
NTP
OO.org 2.4 WinXP also OO.org 3 milestones
OOorg 2.4 Kubuntu 7.1 also OO.org 3 milestones
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bekah wrote:I'll not mark this one solved quite yet... as more questions may arise as I learn.
For further question, please create new threads. Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. One issue per thread is easier to discuss the problem and afterwards to find quickly a answer (for new users).

I tag the thread as solved.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10