Attach Image to cell through URL?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
stevied

Attach Image to cell through URL?

Post by stevied »

[Let me modify the original post here as my thinking was clearly on the lowest notch. The rest of the post should explain my inquiry.]
Last edited by stevied on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x
stevied

Re: Macro to Autoload Image URL per Field Text?

Post by stevied »

To all OO developers and those involved in the production of OpenOffice, 1,000 appologies! I did not mean 'stupid easy' in the context that it was stupid easy to develop. I meant, I'm an idiot for not understanding the stupid easy formula to get this to work. I seem to be doing something completely wrong and can't figure it out. (That and lack of sleep.)

I'll try again later today but in the meantime, can someone please hold my hand here and describe the sequence of steps to do the following.

A1 = http://www.PickAUrl.com/somephoto.jpg

I would like the OpenOffice Calc v 3.1 to reference A1, retrieve the jpg and put the results in a particular location in the spreadsheet.

Any and all holding would be appreacited!

In the mean time, a sincere thank you to the developers! OpenOffice is fantastic and has released me from the evils of Microsoft. No disrespect intended to Microsoft people however...oh dear...here I go again...

80)

Regards,

Steve
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Macro to Autoload Image URL per Field Text?

Post by Villeroy »

stevied wrote:To all OO developers and those involved in the production of OpenOffice, 1,000 appologies!
No developers here, just users like you.
This is the forum on Base, the database application of OpenOffice.org. You, stevied, seem to have a problem with Calc whereas the other Steve (sdritchey) started a database related topic.

I'll move the topic to the Calc forum and my answer is: No way to deal with pictures in spreadsheets. A picture in a spreadsheet is a decorative element or illustration attached to another layer called "draw page". Like any other shape the position on the draw page can be anchored to a cell without being related to the cell's content by any means.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
stevied

Re: Attach Image to cell through URL?

Post by stevied »

Villeroy - Ah! Okay, perhaps that's why I'm finding it so difficult to resolve. I have seen other discussions asking for this feature and one or two solutions that I couldn't understand. I thought the previous discussion thread was in the ballpark. As mentioned, I blame lack of sleep and too many things on my plate for my inability to think clearly.

Many thanks for your input and comments!

Cheers,

Steve aka stevied
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Attach Image to cell through URL?

Post by Villeroy »

A1 = http://www.PickAUrl.com/somephoto.jpg

I would like the OpenOffice Calc v 3.1 to reference A1, retrieve the jpg and put the results in a particular location in the spreadsheet.
What "particular location in the spreadsheet"? You want a HTML editor or possibly a database, but certainly not a calculator. All spreadsheets are calculators in the first place and the most "natural" handling for a hyperlink is simply loading the referenced content into the preferred default application.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice