[Solved] Cannot open the download

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
KE6WNH

[Solved] Cannot open the download

Post by KE6WNH »

A friend recommended I download Open Office for a reconditioned iBook I recently bought, because the software is free. So it is, but once I wasted 2 hours downloading it, I clicked on the icon to open it, and was informed that I needed to download X11. Trying to find and download this X11 turned out to be a wild goose chase. I don't need that kind of frustration (after all, this is Mac OS). So, I dragged out my old discontinued Appleworks CD and installed that instead, and had no problems doing my word processing jobs.

If you folks read this, and you're the ones who write the Open Office software, then you need to work on the Mac versions some more until you get it right. This is one user you'll never have because of bad design.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx other
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Cannot open the download

Post by squenson »

Welcome to this forum KE6WNH!

It is a pity that you experienced so many difficulties to implement OOo on a Mac. Apparently, the latest release is fully integrated with Aqua but requires a version more recent than MacOSX 10.3. If this is not the case on your iBook, then I am afraid that there will be no solution but installing X11.

So, as you can see, the developers have taken care of the Mac platform. We hope to see you soon with a more recent Mac, enjoying the great features of OOo.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

This is a help forum manned by volunteers. The developers are not on this forum. The latest Mac versions work very well. Earlier versions which require X11, an optional install on your install disks also works well.

If your are using OS 10.4.x (Tiger) or OS 10.5.x (Leopard) you can use OpenOffice.org 3.1.0 which does not require X11. It is available from the good-day site. Select the language version you need. Note: The US English version DOES NOT have en-US in the file name.
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Ope ... _20090424/
The US English versions is named:
OOo_3.1.0rc2_20090424_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg

If you are using OS 10.3.x (Panther), the last version of OO.o to work on it is OpenOffice.org 2.1.0, which requires X11.
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Ope ... _20061130/

X11 is on the OS 10.3.x install disk or can be downloaded from Apple.
http://support.apple.com/downloads/X11_for_Mac_OS_X_1_0
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
KE6WNH

Post by KE6WNH »

Too late now! Appleworks is working just fine.
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx other
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

KE6WNH wrote:Too late now! Appleworks is working just fine.
Then why did you post to a help forum if you did not want help. I wasted my time providing an answer for your problem. Thanks a lot.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
creamofcow

Post by creamofcow »

Hey I was browsing the forums for the same answer and came across this thread — thanks everyone for the help. lgusaas, your advice wasn't for naught, as I followed the OO.o 3.1 link for Mac 10.5 users and now I'm up and running. Thanks a bunch!

Still not sure why the other versions didn't work, though I'm assuming it might have to do with me running 10.5.7 on an PowerPC G5 with X11 installed. I was looking for an alternative to MS Office after it stopped working after I updated from Tiger to Leopard. Considering that I bought that version of MS Office back in 2001, I'm more surprised it kept running this long. ;)
OOo 3.1.X on Mac OSx Leopard
VenueKing

Post by VenueKing »

I too have not been able to get it to open. My MacBook Pro seems to do this on a regular basis. It doesn't "communicate" back to me what the problem is like the PC does most of the time. I was a huge Mac advocate. I started one of the largest users group in the country in the SF Bay Area many years ago, but I must say, the Macs are certainly not what they use to be.

I'm using version 10.5.6. Can anyone help, I've used this software on the PC and really like it.

thanks,
Nolan
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx other
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Two pitfalls are quite common:
What you download is a "disk image file" (.dmg). You should not run the software directly from the disk image, but copy it to the applications folder of your hard disk.
 Edit: That is, you open the dmg-file, which will "mount" it so it appears as a disk drive. Then drag the OpenOffice icon from that drive over to the Applications folder.
(I can see I was a bit unclear on this in the original wording. Although it seems that the other posters are aware of the procedure, there may be readers who aren't ...) 
Macs come in two cpu flavors: ppc and intel. If you bought your mac a while ago (or second hand), it may be a ppc, for which you need a download with "ppc" in the file name. New macs have intel cpu, so you need the download with "intel" in the file name.
Last edited by keme on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
VenueKing

Post by VenueKing »

Hi Keme

I did all that, it still does not work. I have a MacBook Pro (Intel) and I downloaded the Intel link as you mentioned in your post. I also tried it by placing it inside of the Applications folder, it STILL DOES NOT WORK.

Please help, I am losing my belief in the Macintosh platform very quickly. Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened. It has done this before with many other software installations.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Nolan
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I have a MacBook Pro (Intel) and I downloaded the Intel link as you mentioned in your post. I also tried it by placing it inside of the Applications folder, it STILL DOES NOT WORK.
Are you saying that you placed the file you downloaded, which is a .dmg file, into your applications folder? You need to open the downloaded file, then place the OpenOffice.org.app that is contained in the .dmg file into your applications folder.
Please help, I am losing my belief in the Macintosh platform very quickly. Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened. It has done this before with many other software installations.
It sounds like you do not know how to install applications on a Mac. I'd suggest getting a good basic book on using Macs.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
VenueKing

Post by VenueKing »

Hello Igusaas,

Maybe you did not read my other posts. I've been a Mac user since the very first macintosh came out. I am the owner of the 4th Fat Mac (yes literally Fat Mac number 4 that came off the assembly line) and was the creator of Let's Go Mac the third largest Mac User group in the SF Bay Area (behind BMUG and Stanford MUG).

I'll be perfectly frank, I know there are different protocols from the old school macs, but on my PC, no matter if I am using my toshiba Win95, my ME, one of our XP machines or even our Vista, when we download a program from a CD, another PC (via Email) or directly from the Internet the "system" basically loads it for us and that is that. That would be the least that I would expect from my Mac. Now, considering that I have spent more than 2 hours of time trying to get this program working on my Mac, when it literally took minutes to get done on the PC, I say that is a pretty good reason to refer someone to PC than to Mac.

Here are you words you wrote below, "It sounds like you do not know how to install applications on a Mac. I'd suggest getting a good basic book on using Macs.", wow, now that reminds me of the days I would tell all of my Mac friends who began to use PCs, don't know how to use your pc, get a good book to learn or take a short course. What happened to the days of plugging in a Mac and away you go?? It certainly does seem like the tides have shifted. If anyone else out there can simply give me a MAC TYPE OF AN ANSWER, I would certainly, most GRACIOUSLY APPRECIATE IT!

Nolan

I
lgusaas wrote:
I have a MacBook Pro (Intel) and I downloaded the Intel link as you mentioned in your post. I also tried it by placing it inside of the Applications folder, it STILL DOES NOT WORK.
Are you saying that you placed the file you downloaded, which is a .dmg file, into your applications folder? You need to open the downloaded file, then place the OpenOffice.org.app that is contained in the .dmg file into your applications folder.
It sounds like you do not know how to install applications on a Mac. I'd suggest getting a good basic book on using Macs.
VenueKing

Re: [Solved] Cannot open the download

Post by VenueKing »

BTW, after I downloaded the .dmg file I tried to open it, the file would not open. In the "download" window it shows that the file did download, but it says "Failed" on it. I downloaded three different files all of them failed.
The message it gave me was this:
"The following disk image failed to mount"

Like I said in a previous thread, this has happened before on my Mac.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Nolan
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I'll be perfectly frank, I know there are different protocols from the old school macs, but on my PC, no matter if I am using my toshiba Win95, my ME, one of our XP machines or even our Vista, when we download a program from a CD, another PC (via Email) or directly from the Internet the "system" basically loads it for us and that is that. That would be the least that I would expect from my Mac.

When I install OO.o, I download the .dmg file, open it, and drag the .app file to the applications folder. Done. Very simple.
Now, considering that I have spent more than 2 hours of time trying to get this program working on my Mac, when it literally took minutes to get done on the PC, I say that is a pretty good reason to refer someone to PC than to Mac.
Obviously, you have a problem. However you have not provided enough information so I can help solve it.
Here are you words you wrote below, "It sounds like you do not know how to install applications on a Mac. I'd suggest getting a good basic book on using Macs."
The scant information you gave suggested that you do not know how to install applications on a Mac. Your statement that you have had the same problem many times before also suggests the same. I have never had a problem installing any program except when the download was faulty.
wow, now that reminds me of the days I would tell all of my Mac friends who began to use PCs, don't know how to use your pc, get a good book to learn or take a short course. What happened to the days of plugging in a Mac and away you go??
Macs are very sophisticated and powerful computers. You can plug them in and start using them, much easier to do so than on a PC. However, a good book will make it much easier and quicker to learn how to get the full potential out of your Mac.
If anyone else out there can simply give me a MAC TYPE OF AN ANSWER, I would certainly, most GRACIOUSLY APPRECIATE IT!
What is a Mac type of answer? To give any further answer requires more information.

BTW. You posted your question in a thread that had been marked solved. Not many people will see it. If you had started a new thread many more people would noticed your question.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

BTW, after I downloaded the .dmg file I tried to open it, the file would not open. In the "download" window it shows that the file did download, but it says "Failed" on it. I downloaded three different files all of them failed.
It is not clear what you are saying.
Does it say in the download window that the download failed? That is what your first statement indicates.
Your second statement indicates that the disk image failed to open on three different downloaded file. This usually occurs when you try to open a .dmg file for a PPC Mac on an Intel Mac.

Where did you download OO.o from?
What is the complete name of the file you downloaded?
You must be doing something wrong.

BTW: Do not put the green check mark on your posts. It indicates that the problem has been solved. Perhaps you should read:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... f=50&t=166
Survival guide
Please read these few guidelines to help us help you.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
VenueKing

Post by VenueKing »

Hi Keme,

Thanks for the added input. Unfortunately I could only try it one way, to drag the .dmg file into the Apps folder (and yes, I did think that was odd because that is not the correct way to install Mac SW), but at this point I am pretty desperate considering I have now downloaded 4 different files - the first one was for a ppc machine, the other 3 were for INTEL machines which is what I have, a MacBook Pro with 4g of memory.

Unfortunately the .dmg file will not open, none of them will open. The actual file name is:
OOo_3.1.0_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg

I'm not sure where I downloaded it from, a site somehow associated with this board as I was directed here directly from the site where I downloaded it. I should boot up my older PPC Mac just to see if the PPC file works. But for now, I just want to get this installed on my MacBook.

Thank you for your help.

Nolan
keme wrote:Two pitfalls are quite common:
What you download is a "disk image file" (.dmg). You should not run the software directly from the disk image, but copy it to the applications folder of your hard disk.
 Edit: That is, you open the dmg-file, which will "mount" it so it appears as a disk drive. Then drag the OpenOffice icon from that drive over to the Applications folder.

(I can see I was a bit unclear on this in the original wording. Although it seems that the other posters are aware of the procedure, there may be readers who aren't ...) 
Macs come in two cpu flavors: ppc and intel. If you bought your mac a while ago (or second hand), it may be a ppc, for which you need a download with "ppc" in the file name. New macs have intel cpu, so you need the download with "intel" in the file name.
VenueKing

Post by VenueKing »

Thanks for your help Igusaas, and the note about the "Check Mark" - it wasn't clear what that was for. I added some insight to my problem on Keme's posts. Most of the questions below I answered in Kewe's post. I really appreciate your help and even though I might know much about the older Macs, there certainly are some new issues that pertain to these new Macs so I definitely am taking up your advice to grab a good simple Mac book.

Because this has happened before is there a possibility that my Mac is not "configured" correctly? And I use that word configured very loosely here. We got these Macs about a year ago from a dealer in Los Angeles and basically turned them on and started to use them. They loaded up the system sw and anything else that is on the Machines. Was there anything else we should of done?? I'm just trying to cover all bases. And in case you missed it, I am not sure where I downloaded the files from, just know it was a site that pointed me here in case I had any problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Nolan
lgusaas wrote:
It is not clear what you are saying.
Does it say in the download window that the download failed? That is what your first statement indicates.
Your second statement indicates that the disk image failed to open on three different downloaded file. This usually occurs when you try to open a .dmg file for a PPC Mac on an Intel Mac.

Where did you download OO.o from?
What is the complete name of the file you downloaded?
You must be doing something wrong.

BTW: Do not put the green check mark on your posts. It indicates that the problem has been solved. Perhaps you should read:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... f=50&t=166
Survival guide
Please read these few guidelines to help us help you.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Unfortunately the .dmg file will not open, none of them will open. The actual file name is:
OOo_3.1.0_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg
That is the correct file name. Try downloading is again from the official OpenOffice.org site.
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
I'm not sure where I downloaded it from, a site somehow associated with this board as I was directed here directly from the site where I downloaded it. I should boot up my older PPC Mac just to see if the PPC file works. But for now, I just want to get this installed on my MacBook.
OO.o 3.x.x requires Mac OS 10.4.x(Tiger) or 10.5.x(Leopard). Unless your PPC Mac has been upgraded to one of them OO.o 3 won't run on them.

Try a new download. If it doesn't open let us know. There could be a problem with the DiskImageMounter.app
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada