Saving on Open office Calc spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BONNEBLUE

Saving on Open office Calc spreadsheet

Post by BONNEBLUE »

Good Morning,
I have created a list of names and addresses to use for a mail merge in this programme and I have somehow managed to confuse it, and it thinks its a Database. I have saved it in Open office Calc. When I go to open it I get this message: "Works cannot open the file you selected. the file may be corrupted or it may be a file type that the Databse cannot open. If yo have a backup copy of the file, try opening that copy, or try opening the file in the program that you created it in" I can open my spreadsheet if I go to it via the program I created it in which is open office calc but I can't use it that way in a mail merge. Is there any way I can resave it as calc or even excel? :? Any suggestions?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Saving on Open office Calc spreadsheet

Post by thomasjk »

Are you using Microsoft Works as your database? Works cannot open native Calc format files .ods. Use Save as and select 97/2000/Xp to save in Excel format. Or better yet just use BASE which is part of OOo and will handle Calc files just fine.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Dave

Re: Saving on Open office Calc spreadsheet

Post by Dave »

Perhaps both use CSV files. Save from one as CSV, and open that in the other. No formatting though.

David.