[Solved] Rename sheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rdr95

[Solved] Rename sheets

Post by rdr95 »

Hello
I am a new Calc user. My calc file has several sheets; some of these I renamed for easier navigation. When re-opening this file recently to add new data, I found that I could no longer rename other sheets (eg Sheet4 to Newdata) by right-clicking the sheet tab. Instead of the rename option, I get Select all sheets Cut Copy. In the Format menu the options for Sheet are greyed out. What's wrong?
rdr95
Last edited by rdr95 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: rename sheets

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you use the native .ods format?
Check that the sheets have not been protected: Tools>Protect Document>Sheet.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

rdr95 wrote:Hello
I am a new Calc user. My calc file has several sheets; some of these I renamed for easier navigation. When re-opening this file recently to add new data, I found that I could no longer rename other sheets (eg Sheet4 to Newdata) by right-clicking the sheet tab. Instead of the rename option, I get Select all sheets Cut Copy. In the Format menu the options for Sheet are greyed out. What's wrong?
rdr95
I can reproduce this by protecting the document. Tools > Protect document > Document.
rdr95

Post by rdr95 »

I tried unprotecting the document, but that did not enable me to rename the sheets. I am using files in .xls format; switching to .ods format made no difference.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If there is no sensitive data, can you upload a sample here?
If it's bigger than 128 kB, you should use a file sharing web site (like mediafire.com).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rdr95

Post by rdr95 »

There is sensitive data I'm afraid. I can open the file in Excel and rename sheets, no problem. So perhaps my solution is to abandon the idea of moving to openoffice and stick with MS Office.
:roll:
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

If the data is sensitive, you can create a temporary copy and delete the material content of the sheets, so that we can still diagnose the problem and solve it for you. It is little unfair to say "here is a problem. I can't show you it, but because of this I have decided to stop using OOo". If you are still wary of doing this then email the sanitised sheet to me at <my user name>@OpenOffice.org :P
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

I just had to write in support of TerryE's position: abandoning Calc over failure to rename sheets sounds like an extreme move.

If there is a way to resolve your concern, the dedicated volunteers in this forum will find it and share the solution with you - and all other Calc users. If this is an application defect, then at least the issue will be brought to light and a remedy sought. Either way, we all benefit.

I (again) wish to go on record thanking all the volunteers who share their time and expertise helping the growing OOo community. They are an excellent group!
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

If it's just one file that has the problem, I'd try extracting the data to a new file using the menu Insert >Sheet from file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
rdr95

Post by rdr95 »

I opened both the ods and xls versions of this file today. I was able to rename sheets in both versions; whatever problem was preventing them from being renamed seems to have resolved itself.
GraphiteFingers

Re: [Solved] Rename sheets

Post by GraphiteFingers »

That was 2008, now it's 2015 and I'm having the exact same problem. The Document is protected, but not the Sheets. The problem goes away if I un-protect the document. If a protected document is successfully opened [by entering the correct password], shouldn't one be able to edit the sheet names and such--especially if the Sheets are not protected?

I made a copy of the file and removed all of the data and attached it, in case that is of value. It is protected with the following password:

password
Attachments
CantModifySheets.ods
Password: "password"
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP Pro SP3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Rename sheets

Post by Villeroy »

1) Any file can be locked on file system level. No program will be able to save any changes to that file. OpenOffice does not allow any edits until you save a new copy elsewhere.

2) menu:File>SaveAs... [X]Save with Password
This prompts for a password and encrypts the saved file so the entire file content is inaccessible without the right program and the right password.

3) On the same password dialog as in 2) there is another option where you can specify a read-only password. This has roughly the same effect as 1) but this time the office program locks the file and a click on the edit button tells the office program to unlock this document.

4) menu:Tools>Protect>Sheet
protects all the cells on the current sheet except for the cells that have been explicitly unlocked.

5) menu:Tools>Protect>Document does not protect the document. It protects the collection of sheets so you can not move, rename nor delete any sheet.

Only 2) is a secure method. The other methods can be overridden easily.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice