[Solved] Can't insert row

Discuss the spreadsheet application
lberkowi

[Solved] Can't insert row

Post by lberkowi »

I can't seem to insert a new row into an existing spreadsheet. When I highlight the row above and commant to "insert row", it tells me that "Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet". I am using OO 3.0 and Mac Os 10.4. Help
Last edited by TheGurkha on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.0.X on Mac OSx other
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Can't insert row

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Don't highlight the row, just click into a cell on that row. What happens when you try to insert now?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
acknak

Post by acknak »

Or, highlight the row and then right-click on the row header (the row number at the left edge of the cell grid) and choose "insert row".

Oh, wait. That's what you're already doing.

My guess is that you've somehow filled one column (at least) all the way down to row 65536, which is all the rows that Calc can handle. You can't insert a new row because it would push some filled cells beyond the limit.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
lberkowi

Post by lberkowi »

Gurkha: When I do that I get the same message: "Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet".

Acknack: I can't "right click" with a Mac and I am only up to line 383.

Thanks for trying
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I don't know all the Mac equivalents, but there must be some way to get the right-click context menu.

Until you find out how to get the context menu on the Mac, you can always select a row and use the menu: Insert > Rows.

To find out for sure where the "end" of your data is, type Ctrl+End (I think the Mac equivalent for Ctrl is "Cmd"). That will take you to the cell at the bottom right corner of all the data in the sheet. My guess is that it won't be on row 383. If it is on row 383, then I'm out of ideas.
lberkowi

Post by lberkowi »

Acknack: You were absolutely right. I used Command/page down to get to the end and found that there was a column of zeroes submerged well below my operating area and going to the bottom line. When I deleted them, I was able to insert rows in the usual manneMany thanks :D
acknak

Re: [Solved] Can't insert row

Post by acknak »

Nice! I'm glad we were able to help.