Matlab notebook m-book.dot template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
GigaWhat

Matlab notebook m-book.dot template

Post by GigaWhat »

Is there a way to use the matlab notebook template m-book.dot with OpenOffice? This is a work template that comes with matlab when you use it and allows you to execute matlab commands directly from the notebook, great for when you want to save your code and work on your paper all in the same file. Usually when I create a new document in word from this template a new drop down menu called "notebook" appears in the title bar, and it also automatically starts up matlab. I turned on macros and opened the template in open office but nothing happened.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Matlab notebook m-book.dot template

Post by acknak »

Sorry, no.

OOo and MS Office are completely different under the hood. OOo doesn't even support the same syntax as MS' BASIC (VBA)--yet. But, once it does, things like this still won't "just work" because they usually depend on the internal details of MS Office, and those details are completely different in OOo.

You can ask Matlab to support OOo by creating a similar template, but don't be disappointed if you get a less-than-enthusiastic response.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
GigaWhat

Post by GigaWhat »

Thanks acknak;
I wrote Mathworks and was surprised to actually get a response in the same day!
We have had some level of demand for more general support of OpenOffice and currently our Development Team is considering implementing this support in a future version of MATLAB.
So, it probably won't happen any time soon, but maybe some day :)
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Excellent! I'd say that's a very encouraging response. Kudos for going ahead and asking them--at least that shows there is interest in using OOo.

Too often, the reply is something along the lines of "Just use (MS) Office--everybody else does. "
P Minix

Post by P Minix »

Phrasing a reply like: " I would rather spend my limited software budget on your products, which are critical to my job, then on Microsoft's which are ancillary" ... feels good - but usually doesn't get a response. We are heavy MatLab users and I will ping them as well.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good insight. Thanks for following up with them.
P Minix

Post by P Minix »

Same thing with LabView and their Report Generator that integrates into Word.