Slide Shows Very Slow

Discuss the presentation application
alsamman

Slide Shows Very Slow

Post by alsamman »

Whenever I am using this program, when I start the slide show, everything takes so long to load. The transitions are very slow and everything just gets all laggy. Why is this happening? Is it a bug and is it fixable?
acknak

Re: Slide Shows Very Slow

Post by acknak »

Impress can be very slow, often depending on the content of the presentation. Large images and certain animations can make a big difference.

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide? You haven't told us anything about your system or OOo version.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
alsamman

Post by alsamman »

Sorry,
I am using Ubuntu Gutsy on OpenOffice 2.3
And On my presentations they don't have pictures at all. It is pretty simple, just a simple background and black text and I have the transitions set on random and yet it still does not function smoothly :( So I am wondering if this problem is just with OpenOffice Presentation or if its something I have to fix
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can try the official version, it's very often much better: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I agree with Hagar: try the official download, but in this case I don't think this is simply a problem with the Ubuntu package. Using any OOo package on Fedora, I find that many of the animations and slide transitions are very slow and "clunky" (not smooth). Unfortunately, when such effects are not very smooth, they look terrible (to me anyway). I just don't use them, or use only one simple one and set it to the fastest speed.

Part of the problem is the generally poor support for hardware acceleration under Linux, and especially OOo. OOo was designed to be cross-platform, so it doesn't use any system-dependent graphics hooks to speed things up. MS Office is just the opposite: it has hardware acceleration built in.
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

can't remember where I read it but someone suggested that you can get better transition speeds etc if you change the settings in tools-options and go to OpenOffice.org-memory. Increasing the amount of graphics cache and the memory per object as well as the number of objects cached may be of some help (but don't expect it to be blindingly fast!!)
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
chromium

Post by chromium »

Animations and transitions continue to be a poorly working feature in OOo.
wild_oscar

Post by wild_oscar »

Does anyone know if slide transitions are going to be fixed in the next version of OO?

Although I'm sympathetic with OO, I must say the sluggish/slow slide transitions in .ppt files make Impress barely useless right now. This is an issue that affects the latest OO 2.4.0.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I know that OOo's whole graphics layer is being re-worked (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... Primitives). I gather that the intent is primarily to make it easier to use, so that it can effectively support all the OOo applications. I think once that's finished, then there will be more attention paid to speeding things up.

The time frame for this is "near term" but not next week and not 3.0 (September).

Maybe it's just as well: impress's interface for working with animations and transitions still needs a lot of work.

There was an ActiveX accelerator extension released a couple of months ago. It's Windows-only of course, but it was supposed to speed things up a bit.
chromium

Post by chromium »

The next version will feature 3D transition effects, but I am afraid this will happen without improvement of the "classic" transitions. Let us only hope then that at least the 3D transitions work right.
kerkwijk

Post by kerkwijk »

Hi,

I've also wondered about the slow transitions, especially as they actually used to be pretty good:
Indeed, I'm still running OpenOffice 1.1 on my laptop for exactly this reason...
Perhaps this suggests a place to start looking for how to improve it;
Unfortunately, I have no idea myself how to get those "good old days" back to the future.

All the best,

Marten
scitech

Post by scitech »

Hi all!!

Probably this is an issue with the graphics display driver.
It occurred the same way in my system (Debian lenny, OO 2.4.0-5 (from debian repo), P4 2.4ghz, Nvidia 6800GT, nvidia driver 173.14.05).

I noticed that nvidia-settings is not loaded to the saved settings after gdm starts.
So, if you have a nvidia graphics card try the following:
1) run nvidia-settings
2) under OpenGL settings enable (i.e. tick the option "Sync to VBlank")
3) quit nvidia-settings
4)!!!! open a terminal within the xserver (i.e. xterm) and run "nvidia-settings -l")
5) retry openoffice

It worked like a charm on my system.
If this is helpful, please let me know.
OOo 2.4.X on Debian + Ubuntu 7.10