General input/output error

Discuss the presentation application
rubyct

General input/output error

Post by rubyct »

I am running windowd xp on a gateway (laptop 6mo. old), openoffice 2.3. I am taking a class at the local college and the instructor has posted a power point presentation that she did in class and I cannot open it after downloading it. She has posted one previous power point presentation that I have no trouble opening. I get a a message that says, "General input/output error" that's all. As stated before, I am still able to open the previous presentation, I cannot open this one. I did a search on the internet and came across one possible explanation. It stated that this could happen if when she posted the presentation on the website she closed the program while it was being saved. Does that sound like a possibility? I have e-mailed her with this info. hoping that she will retry posting the presentation and that it will solve the problem. However, if that is not the problem does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
rubyct
Hagar Delest

Re: General input/output error

Post by Hagar Delest »

Very often, there is another piece of information with the general I/O error, is it the only message you get?
Can you upload it on a file sharing web site (like mediafire.com)? I guess it's more than 128 kB. Do that only if you know she would allow it. Or you can send it by mail, PM me.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lnoonan

Post by lnoonan »

This issue is to do with file locking and statd

One solution is to edit /etc/openoffice/soffice.sh and change file_locking to no. This however means that you can't lock a file for editing.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

lnoonan wrote:This issue is to do with file locking and statd

One solution is to edit /etc/openoffice/soffice.sh and change file_locking to no.
Under Windows XP :?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jaktar

Post by jaktar »

I am having this problem as well. I'm running both XP SP2 and Ubuntu 7.10 with OOo 2.3.1. For the same file: Ubuntu reports "File format error at 1,10 (row,column)" while XP reports "General input output error". Windows event viewer isn't recording the fault. I've only experienced this while opening .pps files(from bangedup.com). I am able to open older .pps files, so I suspect that the problem is something that has been introduced recently in Powerpoint.
MartinRF

Post by MartinRF »

May I add some more mystery to this thread?

Today I found two .odp files that produce "General input/output error" when I try to open them.
Both files were created about a year ago on a W2K-machine and I know I worked on them over a
period of several days so I must have saved and re-opened them many times.

Now both files are ridiculously small (both are 1536 bytes) so somehow they got butchered
after last time I worked on them. The .pdf-version of one of them is 1.3 MB in size...

This happened at work and all files are living on a system of file servers somewhere and as
far as I know the file system is anything but FAT32 or NTFS so I don't think I can blame
file system SW. Could OOimpress do this if quitting in a bad mode?

/Martin
martin

Post by martin »

I have had this problem too
It was caused by some old Open office from f an earlier version . Despite being removed from the ad/remove soft ware it still remained . I was desperate so i went into explorer and founds 3 old files from an earlier version and deleted them
Now it all works good :D :mrgreen:
That was my way of solving the problem .May be i might regret it later :D :D :D :? :oops:
Martin