OOo3.1 on Vista 64bit very slow saving/closing documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Adalja

OOo3.1 on Vista 64bit very slow saving/closing documents

Post by Adalja »

Hello, I've searched through the forum but haven't found anything that helps with my challenge. If I missed a thread; my apologies. I have OOo3.1 running on Vista 64bit. The current challenge I have is that saving or closing documents located on my Network Attached Storage is incredibly slow. Opening them is not a problem. This occurs quite rapidly. I don't appear to have this challenge with locally saved OOo documents. This also appears to be an OOo-specific issue as I can open, save and close other documents in other programs over the network without delay. Furthermore, it doesn't seem to matter if the documents are native OOo or MS format. It does not appear to be a document corruption issue since it doesn't matter which document I open and if I move them locally the problem is resolved. I tried creating a new OOo user profile but that didn't resolve the issue. I reinstalled OOo and still have the challenge. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thx
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.04
RoryOF

Re: OOo3.1 on Vista 64bit very slow saving/closing documents

Post by RoryOF »

I have no network save problem with OO3.1 on windows 32 systems. What happens if you install a 32 bit version of OO?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Adalja

Post by Adalja »

Thanks for the quick response RoryOF. Do you mean a 32 bit OS? I haven't installed OOo on a 32 bit OS. However, I do have my drive partitioned and the second partition runs Windows 7 64 bit. I'm also using OOo3.1 there and it does not have the same issues as with Vista. So the problem seems to be OOo with Vista specific. An additional piece of info I neglected to mention before: I had OOo3.0 running on Vista and working fine. I had to do a complete reinstall of Vista (for unrelated reasons). Upon reinstall OOo3.0 had the issues mentioned in my original post. I upgraded to OOo3.1 but the issues weren't resolved. I can't figure out the delta between the first Vista/OOo install and the reinstall that's causing the problems.
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.04
mojeaix

Post by mojeaix »

I am experiencing the same issue with OOO3.1 on Vista 64-bit. I have Vista 32-bit, Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit and Windows Server 2008 that do not have this problem.

To duplicate the problems, you will need at least two Windows PC's. In my case, I am using Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 running OOo3.1 with a Windows 2008 SP2 file server. Files reside on the Windows 2008 file server over a standard Ethernet network.

The steps to reproduce these problems are as follows:

1) Create a folder on the Windows Server and enable file sharing for that folder. Copy/Create into that folder several OOo3 documents.

2) Go to the Windows Vista 64-bit workstation running OOo3.1 and use File | Open. Next, browse to the folder shared on the remote PC. When you try to open a document shared on the remote PC, there is a very long delay before the file opens. During the delay OOo3.1 is unresponsive. Further, when saving an open document to the remote folder there is also a long delay and OOo3.1 is unresponsive. Finally, if the default Templates folder is set to a remote Windows share, then OOo3.1 hangs when a user attempts to create a new document from a template.

3) On the Windows PC running OOo3.1 use File | Open and browse to an OOo document stored locally. The file opens instantly.

4) One workaround is to use Windows Explorer to copy the file from the remote file folder to the local desktop; make changes locally; then save and copy/move the file back to the remote folder. The file opens instantly.

5) Another workaround is to use Microsoft 2007 SP2 to open the OOo file. The file opens instantly.

6) The local Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 workstation I am using is a member of a domain. There is also a Windows 2008 SP2 Terminal Server in this environment which is also a member of the domain. If I log into the Vista PC using a local user account or domain user account, then the problems described above occur. If I log into the Terminal Server using a domain user account, then performance is as expected.

These issues appear to be a regression in OOo3 from the performance experienced in OOo2.
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Ubuntu 9.04
imarusic

Post by imarusic »

Hello everyone?

I know this is an old thread, but is there any solution for the problems described by mojeaix?

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems while using Open Office 3.1.1 on two Windows XP sp3 computers...

I'm browsing the web for quite a while, but wasn't able to find the fix for this. Although, I thought I was close when I saw this tread. ;-)

Thanks in advance.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP sp3