Is OpenOffice.org right for me?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Violet

Is OpenOffice.org right for me?

Post by Violet »

Hi

I print a lot of labels at work. I need a way of using a small app which my users can select from a variety of drop down menus picking the right criteria for that label. That software exports the answers to a text delimited file which my label software is linked to.

I was told I need to use a database program and dont want to have a copy of Access on each machine. Does Base allow me to perform all that I require? Although my software (Bartender) will allow me to connect to a SQL/Foxpro etc database it all seems a little bit overkill for my needs.

Also although I am vaguely computer literate I have never used a database program and time is of the essence so I am keen to find the quickest solution possible and don't have a lot of time to learn some basic database skills.

So could I learn quickly? Does it do what I want? Or can someone suggest a better option?

Many thanks

Violet xx
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Is OpenOffice right for me?

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

OOo can generate labels from its own database and external data sources (including spreadsheets), and it might even be able to print directly to your label printer.

Are you trying to write an 'application' that will allow multiple users to to interact with it and choose options from the menus and then generate labels, or do you mean that multiple people need to use the 'application' but only one at a time? The default database within OOo is single-user. However, you can link OOo to many other databases such as MySQL.
Also although I am vaguely computer literate I have never used a database program and time is of the essence so I am keen to find the quickest solution possible and don't have a lot of time to learn some basic database skills.
However, this makes me think that for you, right now, it might not be the fastest way to a solution.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Violet

Post by Violet »

Cheers for reply :)

I am bound by by customer to what software I can use. I am using Bartender software with Toshiba TEC SX5 barcode printers. I work for a farm selling to major supermarkets and we have to do things by the book.

The prog would only be used by one person at one time. Its main function is to ensure there are no typos etc as we get a 25 grand fine if they are wrong :)

At the moment we are typing it by hand and it seems a waste of time and leaves room for error. All I need is a text file created from the data the person enters.

I have been looking into it and I pretty much gather I have to use Forms and macros to create it but as said before it seems a bit much for something so simple....
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Violet wrote:we get a 25 grand fine if they are wrong :)
:shock: If you're bound to particular software, why not just spell check the text file that is being created now before you print it (import to OOo for the spellcheck)- at least it would try and avoid the fine!
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Violet

Post by Violet »

I didnt mean its main function was spelling - got words wrong....

What it does is select from 15 diff varieties and various diff weights and sizes without having to type it in by hand...

I think Base will do it... but either the servers are slow or my nets dying as I am currently have 7 hours remaining before it finishs and its been going two already!
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

As a comparison I started a download and it said it would take 30 minutes... doesn't seem to be the servers.

Are you downloading from: OpenOffice.org?
Gurkha Welfare Trust