Turn off auto fill in of cells when typing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BobHelms

Turn off auto fill in of cells when typing

Post by BobHelms »

How does one "turn off" the neat little function that wants to fill in the text you may be typing before you finish typing it? Or even better how do you clear the the area that this function is reading from? If you have typed in the wrong data somewhere previously it then tries to use the wrong data to help you 'type ahead'. I'm sorry to ask simple questions like this, I normally reference the doc. Problem is I can't find the doc. In addition I need a primer on how to use the 'TAB' key versus the 'right arrow' or shift 'left arrow' keys, so can somebody point me in the right direction(s)? TIA for all your help.
Bob Helms

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
OOo 2.2.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Another "How does it work?" question.

Post by Villeroy »

It's convenient for input of repetitive text values in the same column. Under menu:Tools>Cell Contents>Auto Input you can turn this off.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Re: Turn off auto fill in of cells when typing

Post by acknak »

Calc's "AutoInput" feature is using other values in the same column to provide possible completions, so, if you're seeing incorrect values, you may want to correct them where they appear elsewhere in the column. As Villeroy points out, the feature is useful to help you enter repeated items consistently.

As for the help, open Calc first, then you should find it from the menu, under Help > OOo Help, or press F1.

Select the "Index" tab, then enter "auto" in the "Search term" box. You should see the topic list scroll to match your typing. Double click the topic "AutoInput function on/off". On that page, you'll also see a hyperlink to a related topic, "Tools - Cell Contents - AutoInput", which has all the details on using the feature.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23