How to write an address list

Discuss the word processor
punch

How to write an address list

Post by punch »

I want to type an address booklet in A5 format (15 x 21) folded in half -14 pages - 100 plus addresses.
How do I set up all paragraphs to indent second and subsquent lines . and ensure that when inserting spaces and paragraphs I don't upset the fformatting of the subsequent 13 columns ? ie not push all subsequent columns forward. So Far I have made the page landscape and divided the page into 4 columns.

Example :

Code: Select all

Mr. J LLOO                    Mr. J LLOO                            
Mrs.K LLOO                    Mrs.K LLOO
    9  KeBASBBSDF Drive.,         90 Kmnbm,b
    Brightons  HN90PO             Pjkl MLLll
    TEL 87189                     TEL 9870897

Mr Jim Loopie
Mrs Georgie Loopie.
   7 Koiuyy Mains
   Linlithgow.  EH98 6OP
   Tel: 01506 899999
How do I arrange the columns so print on A4 double sided so that they can be folded and stapled in alphabetical order ?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
MacPhisto

Re: how to write an address list

Post by MacPhisto »

To get the indentation right, you should use paragraph styles: Context Menu (right click) > Edit Paragraph Style… > Indents & Spacing. Set the indent Before text to 1cm (if you want to indent 1cm of course), then set the indent First line to -1cm. Make sure that you keep all info of a single address in a single paragraph; use Shift+Enter, rather than just Enter.

As for the columns, they should not be altered by this – though, of course, I do not know how you have set up your columns.

I have no experience with printing the way you want it, but I suppose that, if there is such an option, it should be found among the printing preferences, or maybe PDF can be printed in such way.
If your question has been answered, please add “[Solved]” to the beginning of the title of your first post (use the edit button.)
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 9.x
acknak

Re: how to write an address list

Post by acknak »

You can try a search here--try searching for "brochure" or "booklet"--as this has been discussed several times.

There are other opinions, but I believe the best way is to format your document at the half-page size of the printed copy, A5 for you.

Then, when you're ready to print, select the "brochure" printing option, with A4 paper. That will print two pages per paper sheet and rearrange the pages to the proper order for a folded booklet.

The only problem with this is that it's not very flexible. E.g. more than about 15 pages folded in half starts to get messy, and the brochure mode has no way to handle breaking more pages into proper signatures. But the basic feature covers most projects.

If you need the addresses for any other purpose (e.g. address labels for mailings), you'll want to consider putting the addresses in a database and using the database to feed data into your directory. It's quite a bit of effort to get it set up, but it's a great time-saver in the long run.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
MacPhisto

Re: How to write an address list

Post by MacPhisto »

It is better to post replies here, and not e-mail people; if you reply in the forums, other people can contribute to the discussion, and others might be helped too. Hence, I copy your pm here:
thanks for your speedy reply.
Your instructions are showing the wee diagram in the Paragraph drop down
menu to show the correct shadow and the tabs in the ruler above the column
are moving to the right place but for some reason the instruction isn't
affecting the type, even if I highlight the type. I have clicked OK in the
dialogue box. Looking forward to your further help.

Punch
If these settings are not affecting your text, maybe you forgot to use a ‘soft’ enter – using Shift+Enter – instead of a paragraph break. If you press Ctrl+F10 you should see a bended arrow at the end of each line, not a pilcrow character – a “reverted p”.

I am not sure what you mean by “show the correct shadow”, did I direct you to the wrong menu?
If your question has been answered, please add “[Solved]” to the beginning of the title of your first post (use the edit button.)
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 9.x