[Solved] Change internet address for forum

Let us know how we are doing -
rene

[Solved] Change internet address for forum

Post by rene »

The newest forum has an awful address!

We need a simple, memorable address, which explains why I still simply type oooforum.org.

May I suggest openoffice.org/forum.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
ooo 321; gnome 220; ibm java jre 160; gnu linux mandrake 2008
ooo 2319238; postgresql 826; gnome 220; ibm java jre 150; gnu linux mandriva 2007
openoffice<at>conference.jabber.org
acknak

Re: change internet address for forum

Post by acknak »

Yes, it's not so great, but sometimes you have to simply appreciate what's available.
 Edit: Sorry, I think what I wrote could be misinterpreted. I didn't mean that you have to "eat what we serve, and like it". I meant that this was the best we could get. It's just a fact of the world that you can't always get what you want, and simpler name was simply not available. 
Last edited by acknak on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

rene wrote:The newest forum has an awful address!

We need a simple, memorable address, which explains why I still simply type oooforum.org.

May I suggest openoffice.org/forum.
That's what bookmarks are for. :D :D
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

rene wrote:We need a simple, memorable address, which explains why I still simply type oooforum.org.
Just wait for Firefox 3.0 or try its beta release: Firefox 3.0 beta rocks my socks!

In FF3, I just have to type "oucv" in the address bar and here am I :)
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

I must admit that with both Ff and MSIE typing use is good enough to pick the URL. I haven't even bothered with a bookmark
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

TerryE wrote:I must admit that with both Ff and MSIE typing use is good enough to pick the URL. I haven't even bothered with a bookmark
This works if you are at home or if you already opened that site at least once. But there might be an occasion you're not at home and you have to remember the address of this forum...
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

hol.sten wrote:... there might be an occasion you're not at home and you have to remember the address of this forum...
Searching Google for openoffice forum has it at position six already, and it's only going to get higher as time goes on.

Could OOCF or similar be put in the meta tags for the forum front page? Then that might become a usable search term in future.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

huw wrote:
hol.sten wrote:... there might be an occasion you're not at home and you have to remember the address of this forum...
Searching Google for openoffice forum has it at position six already, and it's only going to get higher as time goes on.

Could OOCF or similar be put in the meta tags for the forum front page? Then that might become a usable search term in future.
Funny you would mention the Google ranking - the results depends on the google server you are using. A search for OpenOffice forum on the US server doesn't even get us on the first page. The analytics supplied from google allows us to see where we rank for that term based on the server - we come higher in all over regions of the world.

Oddly - or not - a search for OpenOffice.org Forum pulls us up in second place in the US.

But - to the point about meta tags - currently we are using none...ok, I know..I've been meaning to get to that.

For example:

here are the KEYWORDS included in OOoForum.org :
"OpenOffice Forum, OpenOffice Help, OpenOffice Support, Setup, Troubleshooting, Documentation, Open Source, Office, Office Suite, Bulletin Board, Discussion Forum, Forum, Help, OpenOffice, OpenOffice.org, FAQ, Howto, productivity software, StarOffice, Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math"

KEYWORDS for forum-openoffice.org
"OpenOffice Support, Setup, Panne, Documentation, Open Source, Office, Office Suite, Discussion Forum, Forum, Aide, OpenOffice, OpenOffice.org, FAQ, Howto, tutoriel, StarOffice, Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math, OOo"

KEYWORDS for http://www.oooforum.dk
NONE

KEYWORDS for de.openoffice.info
NONE

KEYWORDS for http://www.openofficeorg.no/Forumsider/
"PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum"

KEYWORDS for ooo-portal.de ( forum index page )
"openoffice.org, star office, staroffice, OOo, open office, openoffice, palm, kaldewey, malte kaldewey, vorlagen, vorlage, support, faq, knowledge db, datenbank, Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, SUN, Portal,Forum,Supportforum,FAQ,PrOO-Box, Shop, CD Versand, CD Shop, OpenSource"

So - I suppose we should follow suite and expand on those some - suggestions for additional words, phrases?
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

hol.sten wrote:But there might be an occasion you're not at home and you have to remember the address of this forum...
Then I go to the OOo portal and go to the Support page where the forum is listed :geek:
DrewJensen wrote:So - I suppose we should follow suite and expand on those some - suggestions for additional words, phrases?
Tutorials, OOo (if you'd missed it in the French list).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

DrewJensen wrote:
huw wrote:Searching Google for openoffice forum has it at position six already, and it's only going to get higher as time goes on.
Funny you would mention the Google ranking - the results depends on the google server you are using. A search for OpenOffice forum on the US server doesn't even get us on the first page. The analytics supplied from google allows us to see where we rank for that term based on the server - we come higher in all over regions of the world.

Oddly - or not - a search for OpenOffice.org Forum pulls us up in second place in the US.
The sixth position I get is on .co.uk, and it's third on .com.au. I expected variation, but to not make the first page in the US is surprising. Maybe the US specific index is significantly larger than any other, and therefore has more inertia. Or maybe we need a conspiracy theory...

Hmmm... I get third on .com. So the TLD is not equivalent to the actual 'server', which shouldn't surprise me. I knew they had more than one farm, and that they are never entirely the same, so what we are seeing here is an artifact of that, I guess.
DrewJensen wrote:So - I suppose we should follow suite and expand on those some - suggestions for additional words, phrases?
FOSS ODF open document format opendocument ODS ODT OTT (etc) SXW SXC STW (etc)
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

huw wrote:
DrewJensen wrote:
huw wrote:Searching Google for openoffice forum has it at position six already, and it's only going to get higher as time goes on.

The sixth position I get is on .co.uk, and it's third on .com.au. I expected variation, but to not make the first page in the US is surprising. Maybe the US specific index is significantly larger than any other, and therefore has more inertia. Or maybe we need a conspiracy theory...
It may be a language thing - in the US the language is defaulted to English - could be different for UK or AU - :twisted:
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

FYI - the page header for the site was updated today - per the earlier discussion. The html now includes

<meta name="keywords" content="OpenOffice Forum, OpenOffice Help, OpenOffice Support, Setup, Troubleshooting, Documentation, Open Source, Office, Office Suite, Bulletin Board, Discussion Forum, Forum, Help, OpenOffice, OpenOffice.org, FAQ, Howto, productivity software, StarOffice, Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math, Base, Tutorial" />
<meta name="description" content="User supported discussion forum about the OpenOffice.org Office Suite application." />
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Nahhh, so many sites abuse the meta keywords that most search engines pretty much ignore them now. References, search hits (especially those that are followed) and content are the things which drive the rankings.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Granted - but couldn't hurt, could it?
 Edit: Speaking of references - managed to get another site to switch to us from an old OOoforum link.

Have found 3 spots at the OO.o web site that still need swtiching also - will try to get that done this coming week. 
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

+1
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Over here this forum's ranking seems to have been sinking If i do a google search via their .com page it ends up on the bottom of the first page. Via their .nl page it's only a few places higher.

EDIT: and it's not as if search engines do not know this page exists. There's usually a bot or two trawling it.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1